Does your dog poop in the yard?

• My dog is not housetrained.

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I followed a 'related thread' like at the bottom of a thread a few days ago and came across an old post about someone who was trying to house train his outdoor dog and wanted help to keep him from going in the yard.

A good portion of the responses were on the lines of "he's going outside, what more do you want?". Which got me thinking, I have outdoor dogs (although they have free access to the garage which has tiled floors, furniture and heating and A/C) and I consider house training to be when they wait to do their business on our walks which is also what house training is for people who live in apartments obviously but it seems like there are a lot of people who just let their dog outside and have them poop in the lawn.

Which made me curious if outdoor dog owners were more likely to teach the yard as an extension of the house or not.

So for people with houses, does your dog do his or her business in your yard?

Vote in the poll, discuss here

·
Registered
156 Posts
Asha is is an house trained indoor dog and does go in the yard, but she prefers to go toilet outside the yard, she will try and save it for when we go out for a walk in the afternoon.

·
Registered
876 Posts
We have specific places in the yard set up for the dogs to do their business on, a graveled spot about five foot by five foot so the pee and poop don't kill the grass, but it still counts as in the yard!

·
Super Moderator
10,820 Posts
I now live in an apartment and no longer have a yard, but previously to living here I've always had a yard .

To me housetraining is having the dog potty either outside the house, or in a designated place within the house depending on if the owner wants to pee pad train the dog. My dogs have always been trained to potty outside and I did not care if they choose to potty when I walked them or in the yard, the only thing that mattered to me was that they did not potty in my house.

·
Registered
502 Posts
My dogs are outdoor all day and only come in at night. 2 of them will only go potty at the farthest spot from the house, and virtually always in the same spot. They prefer going out of the yard though. The other one doesn't care where she goes as long as she doesn't lay in it haha.

·
Premium Member
4,613 Posts
I'm dumb, and picked the wrong option, but my dogs live indoors and use the yard as a toilet. Specifically they have a section that is the "toilet" area. They do also poop and pee in dog parks, sidewalks, Levi is a serious puddle-pee-er. :p

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
I don't have a bathroom in my backgarden, so he can't go in a bathroom there...but sometimes when I'm sick and there's noone else willing to go for a walk with him...very rarely.
At home I'm walking without shoes a lot and I don't like the thought of stepping in dog excrements with bare feet.
it'S getting autumn though, so perhaps I'll be less strict with that in a few weeks... walking him in cold, wet weather is a pain in the butterfly, because then he's really grumpy.

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
I have a large yard, but also 2 large dogs (65+ pounds). For a while, with this set and the 2 large dogs I had before I was just pooper scooping the yard about every 3 days and putting it in a weed pile that would get burned eventually.

But then last year, I had a hole dug, and sleeved it with a large garbage can that had the bottom cut out and holes drilled into the side and have a nice cess pit now for the dog doo.

I put in some grass in it first and part of a bottle of cess pit bacteria filled it with water, then the next day did a walk through of my yard and dump the poo into it...added more water, put an old metal lid 'burn barrel' lid that had rusted off of an old burn barrel I had some years ago.

I like have the cess pit in that one corner of my hard... it can't be seen, and the lid is light enough for me to move it with the end of the pooper scooper hoe. I just get a bucket with a little water and a cap full of cess pit bacteria and walk the yard and then empty the bucket into the pit and add a little more water with the garden hose and put the lid back on.

I was really worried about how bad the smell would get, but even with the lid off, someone would have to get pretty close to smell anything. It's been composting the poop pretty good..the level seems to be remaining about the same in spite of all the poo I've tossed in there. The bottomless sleeve garbage can with the holes in the sides allow the liquids to leech into the ground and keep the dirt from caving into the hole.

The only draw back, is I can't use it in the winter...it gets too cold for the bacteria to work and also the snow on the ground buries it...but it makes up for it in the spring when I have the major spring walk through of my yard...cleaning up all those dog piles that accumulated over the winter.

If each dog pooped twice a day...that's 60 piles in just 1 month....x that by about 6 months of cold weather where I can't really get out there and pooper scoop due to my yard either under a bunch of snow, or worse, the snow has packed down a bit and it's a layer of ice on top...and frozen to the ground dog poo...you can imagine the mess I have every spring. The dogs...even though they do have this big yard...for some reason they mostly poo in one area by a tree stump...but I have to walk the whole yard as that's not always the case.

Every time I do it I keep telling myself next time I'm getting 9 pound dogs instead of 65 pound ones...lol

Stormy

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
I have a large yard, pasture, and we frequently go down to the lake on walks.

My dogs mainly go in the yard for convenience sake, but as long as they go outside I really don't care where they go :)

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
My dogs mainly go in the yard for convenience sake, but as long as they go outside I really don't care where they go :)
Same here. They will go on walks, but mostly in the yard. With four dogs I have to pick up almost every day but I have to pick up every poop on a walk anyway.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
I live in an apartment and have a very tiny yard. Most dogs I have staying with me are reluctant to potty (or poop especially) in the yard. I think it's completely because they view it as an extension of the house. I had to wait one of them out and teach him that it was ok. People would say "Why don't you just take him on a walk?", and I frequently did. But I have a yard and sometimes it's just nice to let the dog out to potty while you get your life together in the morning or to not have to put shoes or pants on to go out at night :p Plus, I don't feel too comfortable going out around here at night.

Guess I don't really blame them... it is a small space that's the exact width of the house and the only way you enter/exit is through the back door. When I have visiting dogs they'll usually have to be walked around outside.

When I got my dog as a puppy he learned very quickly that it's the place to potty, probably because he was taught to go there at a very young age. The first day I brought him home I immediately took him outside. He sniffed a little, and immediately peed in the yard. I praised him tremendously and he thought that was fantastic. Half an hour later he peed on the floor inside. Slightly less fantastic... but he quickly learned that wonderful things happen when he pees in the yard.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
100% housetrained, poops in yard and on walks.

I don`t mind as yard is very big and Ella naturally always, always picks the furthest spot from the house ... she really goes at the corner of the yard behind a big bush where no human sets their foot. She also always does it in that spot.

I`m totally fine with it.

Most dogs will naturally try to "go" as far from "den" as possible so if you have some "wild" corner in the yard I don`t see a problem.

Whenever we are visiting my family or bf`s family, the same rule applies. She picks the furthest spot from house and does her business there.

·
Banned
6,350 Posts
Charlie indoor dog mostly till summer has specific areas he goes to poo or wee at my parents and at mine he always go in same area mostly. Jessie is indoor dog but likes to sunbathe poo in garden or on a walk now and then also will go at parents if needs to especially if need to poo.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for all the replies its definitely interesting.

I wasn't talking about going in the yard as a preference rather a training issue. I had to train both of my dogs not to go in the yard which I thought was fairly normal since I'd rather not have dog poop in my relatively small yard.

If I'm on a walk with them I can pick it up easily, throw it away in a public receptacle (instead of my trash) and not have any residue that stink up the yard and attract flies

·
Registered
21 Posts
Right now - while getting ready to move for work - I am living with my parents on their 300 acre farm seeing as I can still work from home.

You unfortunately don't have an option for an outdoor / indoor dog because to me an indoor dog indicates one that needs to be indoors most of the time and an outdoor door can be outdoors more often. Most of the dogs on the farm are indoor / outdoor dogs - they are quite happy being indoors as they are outdoors - so I picked the outdoor poos in yard option.

All the dogs - 8 Border Collies, 2 Kangals and one crazy looking BC / Old English Sheepdog cross are house trained regardless. Even Pascal, their Dane/Cane Corso, who at 3 years still acts like he's 4 months old. Actually all our dogs have been housetrained and poo in the yard [or at least outdoors].

1 - 17 of 17 Posts