Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking at recipes to freeze in Kongs and have seen plain, non-fat yogurt suggested. I am wondering if the dairy would cause stomach upset? He is 15 weeks old, is almost 100% on his new food (candidae pure foundations) and hasn't really eaten anything else other than the treats we use once a week at our training class (grain free) and boiled chicken when we train at home. Would love to try a yummy frozen kong but don't want to come home to diarrhea in the crate :(

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Can't say I know much about yogurt but I find a piece of apple surrounded by kibble and chicken takes echo a while to get to.

Another is just kibble soaked for about an hour in the boiled chicken water.

·
Registered
911 Posts
Depends on the dog. Some dogs are fine with it, some not so much. You can try giving a little and see how your pup handles it. I use raw meat to stuff in Freyja's kong, frozen or semi frozen.

Reactions: MHDDOG2016

·
Registered
256 Posts
It can happen, not diarrhea necessarily, but also loose stools.
My dog is not good with dairy, so giving yoghurt does result in a loose stool. It took me a while to figure it out, since I didn't think about my Kong stuffings when trying to figure out what made her stools so loose, but after eliminating it, it got much better :)

·
Registered
17 Posts
our vet uses yogurt for dogs that have loose stools and/or diarrhea. but it will depend on your dog, I give one teaspoon of yogurt twice a day when my older girl gets loose stools when it's time to do her glands. it works great to " solidify" her stools.
I also found a recipe online for kong where I mix yogurt with a little peanut butter and some bananas, I blend all the ingredients together and freeze it in her kong, sometimes I add some water to add some ice, but it doesnt last very long, she finishes it very quick lol. I dont do this very often as it builds up tartar on their teeth much faster

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.