Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking at recipes to freeze in Kongs and have seen plain, non-fat yogurt suggested. I am wondering if the dairy would cause stomach upset? He is 15 weeks old, is almost 100% on his new food (candidae pure foundations) and hasn't really eaten anything else other than the treats we use once a week at our training class (grain free) and boiled chicken when we train at home. Would love to try a yummy frozen kong but don't want to come home to diarrhea in the crate :(

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Can't say I know much about yogurt but I find a piece of apple surrounded by kibble and chicken takes echo a while to get to.

Another is just kibble soaked for about an hour in the boiled chicken water.

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
Yogurt should have the opposite effect. It helps grow that all important 'bacteria bouquet' in their digestive tract. We often give Samantha yogurt when she has an upset stomach, helps settle it.

·
Registered
911 Posts
Depends on the dog. Some dogs are fine with it, some not so much. You can try giving a little and see how your pup handles it. I use raw meat to stuff in Freyja's kong, frozen or semi frozen.

Reactions: MHDDOG2016

·
Registered
256 Posts
It can happen, not diarrhea necessarily, but also loose stools.
My dog is not good with dairy, so giving yoghurt does result in a loose stool. It took me a while to figure it out, since I didn't think about my Kong stuffings when trying to figure out what made her stools so loose, but after eliminating it, it got much better :)

·
Registered
17 Posts
our vet uses yogurt for dogs that have loose stools and/or diarrhea. but it will depend on your dog, I give one teaspoon of yogurt twice a day when my older girl gets loose stools when it's time to do her glands. it works great to " solidify" her stools.
I also found a recipe online for kong where I mix yogurt with a little peanut butter and some bananas, I blend all the ingredients together and freeze it in her kong, sometimes I add some water to add some ice, but it doesnt last very long, she finishes it very quick lol. I dont do this very often as it builds up tartar on their teeth much faster

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.