Dog Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I recently got my chihuahua "Lucy" spayed on 2/24/2018. I've never had a dog that wasn't already spayed/neutered when I adopted it, so this is my first time going thorugh the recovery/healing process with a pet.

So this is I guess the beginning of her third day out of surgery. I took her in Saturday mornings (2/24) and picked her up late in the evening. She was still very dopey from the anesthesia and also had a professional teeth cleaning so her little tongue was sticking out and she was absolutely shaky and confused. I felt so bad for her.

I get her home and of course I think she's still just confused and a little out of it. She's very good about not peeing/pooping inside the house but that night she peed four times just on the floor and pooped as well. I figured she was just full of liquids from IV and also just sort of generally out of it and traumatized.

Anyway, couldn't get her to drink or eat water at all the first night. Gave her her pain meds and waited until the next day. Still pretty out of it and shaky in the morning. Later that afternoon she finally started to eat/drink water.

Yesterday she seemd almost back to her normal self minus how irritated she is wearing that cone.

However, yesterday I did notice that the incision had a red bump that seemed a little irritated. The incision seemed bumpy from the get-go but one of the bumps was pretty red.

This morning I checked again and now two of the bumps on the incision are red.

I've attached a photo here for reference.

20180227_035141.jpg

Does this seem infected? Should I call the vet or take her in? Or is this normal? I'm just worried because Ive never done this before so I don't really have a good reference for what to expect and not expect.

·
Registered
713 Posts
Most vets will do a free post-op surgery check if you had the surgery done at their office. Usually you don't need to have an appointment, they'll have the tech or vet assistant take you pet to the back for the vet to look at, but be sure to call first to make sure that you can just walk in.

·
Registered
368 Posts
By now you have either had this rechecked, or it's looking less puffy. Looks like the sutures are a bit tight and the incision swelled up a bit... certainly not necessarily infected, but we never use external spay sutures, and one of the reasons is to avoid this (though almost always the swelling goes down on its own and looks better in a few days).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts