Dog Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello all of you dog lovers!

I just joined this forum and I'm glad I did! Our 11.5 year old beloved Remington passed a couple of months ago, and we are looking to rescue a puppy. Remi was also a rescue - he looked like a lab but his short coat was silky soft. So we assume he was a golden lab mix.

Anyway, what do you think? Do these three siblings look like they are a golden lab mix as the rescue organization thinks? They have no proof of course . . . The rescue group thinks they are 12 weeks old. Here's a video of the female:

Thanks for your input!
Judy

Attachments

·
Registered
669 Posts
I would say it is a good bet that they have a lot of Retriever of some kind of them, and it is either Golden Retriever or Labrador Retriever, and it is also possible that they have both in there. That said, they are definitely also mixed with something else, possibly multiple something elses.

The GoldenXLab mixes I know (all 50/50 Golden/Lab, from 3 different litters and ranging from 2 to 4) look like either Goldens with an unusually short/thin coat (ie, have feathering on the tail, back of legs, ears, and chest, but it isn't as thick as pure Goldens) or look pretty much like a Lab with very short feathering on the tail. If I didn't know they were GoldenXLab mixes, I would think the long coated ones were pure Goldens and the short coated ones were pure Lab. If they were just LabXGolden, I would not expect to see any white markings- at least not any clear white markings and not very large ones- and I would expect more of a 50/50 split in coat length- the litters I've seen tend to be more evenly split between coat length.

My guess is these guys have some Hound of some kind in them as well, given the ear set/shape, face shape, and coat type and markings. That is a rough guess, though, given their age- it is hard to guess with puppies.

The coat looks a little thin for a retriever mix to me, but that could just be the pictures.

The ear and face look very retriever/hound mix to me.

The white markings are typical of hound mixes (chest, paws, and face/muzzle).

If i had to guess the mix, I would guess mostly Lab with maybe 1 Hound-y grandparent.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your quick response! Remington looked houndy too as a pup - and then turned into a very soft coated lab. Rescuing is exciting and important - but also not a perfect science. I guess there is some charm to that though;)

Here are photos of Remi <3

Attachments

·
Registered
669 Posts
Really its just the extensive white markings that make me think not just Lab/Golden- the middle pup especially does look like it is a lab/golden mix, and IMO it is a pretty good guess, except for the one pup with so much white.

Labs and Goldens both do produce dogs with white markings, but IME pet and show lines tend to very rarely throw dogs with much white. I do see more dogs with white chest markings in field lines of yellow or red labs and Goldens, and certaintly the color of the dogs coat matches field line Goldens more than what is currently the popular show or pet line coloring, which is close to white these days, but I don't know how common field line dogs are where you are, and I've never seen a field line dog of either breed with that extent of white- a splash on the chest, sure. Maybe a bit on the feet. Never any on the face.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Looks more like a lab/hound mix to me. I don't see anything that says golden retriever. Even against the puppy picture of your other dog, he looks much more houndy. Bigger ears and the droopy eyes.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for weighing in!

Our vet thought Remington may have had hound in him also, and he never mentioned Golden - but his coat was sooooooo soft.

I don't think any hounds have a soft coat (?); so Remi must have been a lab/hound/and maybe golden mix.

I know that once we adopt, we'll love our new pup intensely no matter if his coat is soft or not!! But I must say Remi spoiled us lol. And we miss him so much.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Look at that substance, the paws, the nice head! That is a quality pup no matter who Mom or Dad was!
Lucille are you referring to all of the pups? I agree they all look delicious and very substantial :D

As far as height goes, I prefer a taller dog; not really a fan of the short lab look. Do you think these pups look like they'll be on the taller side?

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
They all do look substantial and delicious. Although when I wrote the comment, I was looking at the 'Mets' pup. you can really see those big ole paws and enormous bone in the foreleg. What a dog that one is going to be!

·
Registered
713 Posts
Looks like there's Beagle in there. And yes hounds can/do have a softer feel to the coat compared to most other breeds, but a lot of that has to do with individual lines and coat care.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts