Dog Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They can do but to me the ears are positioned lower than what a pure beagle would be. Looks more like it might be a beagle basset cross
They can do but to me the ears are positioned lower than what a pure beagle would be. Looks more like it might be a beagle basset cross
Yes...the petshop agent says he gives me a pure breed and those wrinkles are just temporary since it's a month old pup!!🤔....
Lil pups can have Wrinkles...but this seems like an in born feature!!...and yes I doubt the Ears too...
So what do you think?...Worth Getting this!?...any Medical issues later in life?.

·
Super Moderator
1,643 Posts
No problem. They will get a notification they have been tagged and hopefully will contribute shortly.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Hi there... Its true Im a beagle owner although both of mine were adopted at later ages but I also know a lot of beagle people and I have to saw this one looks a little odd..
The ears are a bit low the head is a bit too domed and the muzzle looks a bit smushed up the wrinkles are also a bit too obvious.. Beagles are soft around the face but they shouldnt be overly wrinkled..

As with any pup if you have any doubts walk away..

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi there... Its true Im a beagle owner although both of mine were adopted at later ages but I also know a lot of beagle people and I have to saw this one looks a little odd..
The ears are a bit low the head is a bit too domed and the muzzle looks a bit smushed up the wrinkles are also a bit too obvious.. Beagles are soft around the face but they shouldnt be overly wrinkled..

As with any pup if you have any doubts walk away..
Thanks dude!!... But now I am worried what they have done to the pup... Unmatched cross breeds cause a lot of problems.. feeling sad for the pup😔... Anyways, thanks for the answer... Will tag you when I get in contact with the other breeder(I hope I get a beagle ASAP!!)

·
Registered
600 Posts
It's most definitely a beagle cross. All of the general markings and shapes are indicative of a beagle. However, I've never seen one with this much extra skin or such a prominent brow before. I'm not a beagle owner and I don't know if that's normal or not but I suspect it isn't and therefore I wouldn't accept that it's a purebred without evidence.

That said, this dog is adorable and I wouldn't worry about it unless you intend to breed it.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Any doubts like this and you should stay far far away from the breeder. Have you seen the parents? Do I understand it right if the puppy is from a petstore? In that case you should avoid buying any dog. Never buy a dog from a petstore since it’s almost guaranteed that these puppies are bred in puppy-mills with horrendous conditions.

You always want to visit the breeder at home and see where the dogs lives and visit at least the mother of the puppies. And then have all the correct paperwork and health tests made :)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It's most definitely a beagle cross. All of the general markings and shapes are indicative of a beagle. However, I've never seen one with this much extra skin or such a prominent brow before. I'm not a beagle owner and I don't know if that's normal or not but I suspect it isn't and therefore I wouldn't accept that it's a purebred without evidence.

That said, this dog is adorable and I wouldn't worry about it unless you intend to breed it.
I did a little research and found out that the extra skin might be harmful for the pup..extra skin for a beagle is actually an indication that the Growth of the skin outperforms the growth of its muscles in the face. This results in the folds of the skin.

i don't care about the folds and wrinkles...but if it's a health problem...It's a risk!

·
Registered
600 Posts
i don't care about the folds and wrinkles...but if it's a health problem...It's a risk!
It looks like you're worrying about health problems. As far as health problems go in dogs, extra skin is minor and in fact there are breeds that are "designed" to have extra folds of skin for aesthetic reasons.

I think you need to see it like this: it's not a matter of whether or not your dog will (eventually) have health problems. The question is which ones?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It looks like you're worrying about health problems. As far as health problems go in dogs, extra skin is minor and in fact there are breeds that are "designed" to have extra folds of skin for aesthetic reasons.

I think you need to see it like this: it's not a matter of whether or not your dog will (eventually) have health problems. The question is which ones?
Hmm...yes. If I get this pup, that would be my first ever pet!...so I know this isn't a big health issue..but I am scared because I am new to this...maybe I shouldn't be this worried..You are right!!...

·
Registered
523 Posts
Hmm...yes. If I get this pup, that would be my first ever pet!...
Whoa wait a minute.. How much do you know about beagles?
This is not an easy dog . dont be fooled by the cute look , big eyes and the floppy ears, they are pure hunting dogs with a prey drive like you wouldnt beleive. My 14 year old blind beagle took off after a rabbit and I had to chase him for 45 minutes.. They are not trustworthy off lead.

They are very vocal, need company (human or other dog) because they are pack dogs. They need lots of exercise otherwise they get fat very quickly. and their ears are a major health hazard they can support an eco system all of their own and it can happen in a couple of days so you have to be doing ear checks daily. These are not a beginners dog.

From my contact on beagle pages and forums I see that they are rapidly becoming the pup of choice in India. This is another red flag. Whenever a dog becomes popular bad BYB get on the band wagon hoping to make a quick buck.
You need to be super super careful about choosing a breeder never go through a broker or other third party.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Whoa wait a minute.. How much do you know about beagles?
This is not an easy dog . dont be fooled by the cute look , big eyes and the floppy ears, they are pure hunting dogs with a prey drive like you wouldnt beleive. My 14 year old blind beagle took off after a rabbit and I had to chase him for 45 minutes.. They are not trustworthy off lead.

They are very vocal, need company (human or other dog) because they are pack dogs. They need lots of exercise otherwise they get fat very quickly. and their ears are a major health hazard they can support an eco system all of their own and it can happen in a couple of days so you have to be doing ear checks daily. These are not a beginners dog.

From my contact on beagle pages and forums I see that they are rapidly becoming the pup of choice in India. This is another red flag. Whenever a dog becomes popular bad BYB get on the band wagon hoping to make a quick buck.
You need to be super super careful about choosing a breeder never go through a broker or other third party.
I did my research and you are right, it's the first preference in India...but I didn't go for beagle just because people buy it. Infact, four neighbouring states including the one i live in, does not have any beagle breeders at all...and the demand for it is super low!... Northern part of India has the large population of beagle owners than the south (I live in the South)...

I was convinced after learning about all these stuff to get a beagle...since I like it's 'Lets hunt' character even though I live in an apartment. I can take of it's fitness and food. But, all my doubts still exist about the breed quality.
And yes...I must also keep in mind it's ear check.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Any doubts like this and you should stay far far away from the breeder. Have you seen the parents? Do I understand it right if the puppy is from a petstore? In that case you should avoid buying any dog. Never buy a dog from a petstore since it’s almost guaranteed that these puppies are bred in puppy-mills with horrendous conditions.

You always want to visit the breeder at home and see where the dogs lives and visit at least the mother of the puppies. And then have all the correct paperwork and health tests made :)
I am not buying it from a pet store...I contacted a guy in my locality who works has contacts of his previous customers...and it's like a little community he has created where a dog owner, who is willing to breed or sell pups..can contact this guy to get my info...

So it's more like a 'buying a pup from a friend'...😊

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Ok Im glad youve done research.
This is George sold by a breeder as a pure beagle althouth we think there may be a bit of harrier in there somewhere and this is the noise of him just playing... If he thinks theres a cat in the garden its a lot worse .. Can your neighbours put up with this?
OK!...I have to say George is cute❤...I know beagles can have loud vocals and they like to sing(if that's the crct word!!😅) And bark. I am pretty sure my neighbours can handle this because they all got a Labrador, pug, And a pomerian.. which constantly barks... So maybe they have to put up with my dog's sound... Just the way I adjust with them (😅😂I know if sounds like a tit for tat but It's a coincidence that I am getting a pup after two of my neighbours brought it one after another!!)...

And an important question!!!!
One of my neighbours (down the street) are is getting a Pitbull... should I be worried as a pet owner..
.or in this case...as a neighbor???
HELP!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts