Dog Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On August 7, our family took in a dumped black lab/mastiff mix into our two dog household. We took him in to see if he had a microchip, (which he did not) and the vet tech estimated his age between one and three. He has some allergies around his eyes, paws, and belly, and is still in tact. We have a physical exam scheduled for today to check for any signs of illness and general health. He is a wonderful dog, averaged thirty pounds underweight. We have him on a very high quality puppy food. He gets along great with our french bulldogs and is very gentle with the cats. He minds very well, but does not know any verbal commands and is definitely not leash trained. He rarely barks, he only does occasionally if he is excited or sees a big dog outside. We named him Zeus. We picked him up on a busy road in the pouring rain. A car swerved away from him, but had nearly hit him. We have contacted the humane society and are waiting for lost dog fliers, and if there is no sign of an owner, we are keeping him.

Now that you have a summary on our short history with Zeus, I was wondering if stress could cause grey hairs in dogs. When we picked him up, he had a collar indent on his scruff. The fur is thinner along this line, and the skin is irritated a little bit. He has many grey hairs on the collar line, and I was wondering if it could be from stress where the tight collar was. We only collar him for walks, since we want this irritated patch to heal as quickly as we can.

Thanks in advance! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
I'd use a harness on him rather than a collar. It's safer overall anyway.

Damage to the hair follicle can cause loss of pigment, yes, though some dogs just have grey hairs, and some dogs go grey very young.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts