Dog Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We got the DNA Test results for Mimi. I am so disappointed. I feel robbed of $100.00. Primary Breed : Blank, Secondary Breed : British Bulldog & Bull Terrier, Distant Breed : Blank.
She looks nothing like any of these breeds. There are no copies of any lab results. I could have put together a similar folder of information. :mad:

Attachments

·
Registered
30 Posts
Try to think of it this way, $100 really isn't so much for such a cute and from what I can see in the pics, wonderful dog.

But yes, I can understand your frustration over the matter, I would be mad too if I put in money thinking I was getting a certain breed or cross and it didn't turn out that way. Unfortunally, too many people think of dogs as only money makers and will put in anything they think will bring in the most money. Finding a dog is such a risky business these days because of these vultures.

The front on shot of her head does show terrier, I tend to think JR, but because of her size, I can also understand some sort of bull terrier, but no bulldog, just not broad and short muzzled enough to be bully in my eyes.

Body wise, of course I'm going to think dalmation at first glance because of her spots, but to me she seems to have a sporting type body, that could also include pointer, also spotty, lab, and truth be known, dalmations do have a sporting type body.

Sorry she's not what you thought she would be, but I'm sure you still love her just as much as you did before the test. Whatever she is, she is a cutie, I wouldn't turn her away if she showed up on my doorstep. As far as her info folder, just do what I do, put in her name, adoption/bought papers, health records and your personal thoughts about what you find wonderful about her and things you need to work on with her. Both my dogs have a folder, or as I call it, their baby book, lol.

·
Registered
713 Posts
Just curious which DNA testing company you used and what type of DNA sample did you send them (ie. check swab, blood, eetc.). Not every company can test for every breed out there. In fact most companies can only test fr 30-ish breeds I belive the most is ~138 with Wisdom Panel, but considering the AKC has over 150 breeds even Wisdom panel can't test for everything. The accuracy of the test is also affected by the sample type used. From how the test results were explained to me, by a Wisdom Panel rep, primary breed would be parents, secondary breed=grand parents, next would be the great grand parents, etc. The way I would interput your test results is that your dog had a Bulldog and a Bull terrier for grandparents the rest would be unknown mixed breeds or breeds the company can't test for yet. With that interputation I could see some Bulldog and/or Bull Terrier. Your dog has some terrier like facial features and a bully-esque body type. Personaly though I would guess that there's some Dalmatian in the mix as well.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I agree with both of your opinions. I guess for me, it is disappointing that I did not get at least one breed in the results that would define her characteristics and traits (except a few of the bull terrier). Mimi's speed and quick thinking is incredible. She outruns the whippets at the park. Her sense of smell is amazing. She sniffs out her ball even if hidden away in a cupboard. All I really wanted from the DNA is something to put me on the right track for her mental and physical stimulation. She is a quick learner too.
Mimi was one of 5 in a litter at the RSPCA. Her brother is exactly her without the spots. He is pure white but looks and acts like her. Wouldn't they be different if they were a very mixed breed?
Animalcracker, the DNA was taken in a swab of saliva from inside her cheeks.
It is new to Australia and they list approx. 100 types of breeds. I was warned when I enquired that sometimes 'very little' comes up and many were disappointed at the results.
Whatever Mimi is, she is a dellight. She is lovely.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I would of guessed a jack russel type dog, I can really understand why your upset at the waste of money, I would be.

·
Registered
18,782 Posts
you have to remember that alot of dog genes are recessive and a dog that is a mix of many breeds is not just going to look like a mix of all those breeds lumped together. Whats likely is the few recessive genes that match up will be expressed externally which is why the breeds present in a dog may not be anything how the dog apears..

Leg length, ear length, ear set, colors, muzzle length all these things will not blend together but behave like and On/off...either the gene is expressed or not. If the genes don't match up they aren't expressed, so you end up with the default of dominant trait...which may be a breed you don't see, or want to see doesn't mean the test was wrong.

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It is still disappointing Cri. You are given to believe that your dog's breed will be identified. To me it is like having a Great Dane and the test reveals it is a Chihuahua! I love Mimi dearly. She is a very well behaved and very loving dog. However, not knowing her needs and her traits is making me a little uneasy. She is VERY confident and is very playful and a happy dog. However, I worry sometimes as when she has set her sights on something, she goes for it full force. She is definitely a hunting dog. She is not agressive but she is very powerful and she knows it. I saw a Bull Arab (an relatively new Australian breed of dogs) and it reminds me of Mimi. These dogs were bred for hunting boars and they are made up of Greyhound (for speed), Spanish Pointer (hunting), and Bull Terrier for strength. The Bull Arab Association does not have a DNA bank just yet. I am told they ar working on it. Although Mimi is not as big as the Bull Arab, some of the breeds look like her a lot. I will attach some photos of a Bull Arab as a matter of interest following this post as it doesn't seem to have an attachment facility to it.

·
Registered
20 Posts
She definitely seems like she could have some pointer in her and some type of bully, maybe a three way, bull terrier, pointer and jack russell. It's possible that one or both parents are mixed. Cute dog though, seems watchful and attentive.

·
Registered
18,782 Posts
Breed knowlegde is pretty overrated IMO. What do you mean by not knowing her needs? Like medically? Behavior? Knowing the dogs mix of breeds wont bring you any closer to the answers you seek I think.

You dog is obviously som' sort of terrier mix. But what does that say? I know terriers that are hyped up and laid back...high drive low drive...big small...get what Im saying? KNowing the breed label wont make any difference in how your dog behaves.

but yes I do understand the frustration of feeling ripped off. Main reason I avoid those DNA tests. I have curiousities about my dogs as well.

ETA: after watching your vid HONESTLY I think your dog is a PB Jack russel terrier...keep in mind that JRT is NOT a recognised breed and so there is tremendous variation in them. I have seen 35lb JRT and 5lb ones.... all depends on the quality of the breeding.

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I guess I have to watch Mimi's behaviour and learn as much as possible about her. I now exercise her 3 times a day for at least an hour at a time (I feel though that she needs to "work" at something instead of just chasing after the ball and trying to catch it in mid air - Any suggestions?). Occasionally I take her to the Park where I let her run free. I keep a watchful eye on her behaviour with other dogs and humans. I have varied and increased her food intake. According to the Vet, she is still growing.
I cannot help but worry that with maturity she might become agressive. Being physically strong and confident, I imagine she could cause a lot of damage if provoked. At present, she is affectionate, loyal and a very good watch dog. Very obedient too.

·
Registered
18,782 Posts
I guess I have to watch Mimi's behaviour and learn as much as possible about her. I now exercise her 3 times a day for at least an hour at a time (I feel though that she needs to "work" at something instead of just chasing after the ball and trying to catch it in mid air - Any suggestions?). Occasionally I take her to the Park where I let her run free. I keep a watchful eye on her behaviour with other dogs and humans. I have varied and increased her food intake. According to the Vet, she is still growing.
I cannot help but worry that with maturity she might become agressive. Being physically strong and confident, I imagine she could cause a lot of damage if provoked. At present, she is affectionate, loyal and a very good watch dog. Very obedient too.

Bingo! Exactly. Spending time with your dog is much more informative than any breed bio.

the greater majority of the time aggression is caused by fear. Socialize your dog to many many novel things (dogs people sounds wierd items vacumms you get my point)Truely Confident dogs shouldn't have aggression issues.

Have you thought about training? Specifically trick training? It sounds like you have gone above and beyond on meeting her physical needs.

15 of training 2x a day leaves most dogs as tired as if they had run miles. Especially if she seems to WANT TO WORK. They want to work their brains too. Terriers especially are capable of learning very elaborate behaviors. Are you familiar with clicker training?

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yes. I thought about training many times over. I don't know what type though. I know that she will be very good at scent tracking activities. Tracing a scent is what she does at the park often... usually comes back with a tennis ball or some fun toy! I don't know what clicker training is and I have never seen it. Do they teach it at training school? Mimi had her obedience classes when we first got her and she graduated with flying colours. I think she can be taught just about anything -like most dogs I guess- with the right instructor.

·
Registered
18,782 Posts
Yes. I thought about training many times over. I don't know what type though. I know that she will be very good at scent tracking activities. Tracing a scent is what she does at the park often... usually comes back with a tennis ball or some fun toy! I don't know what clicker training is and I have never seen it. Do they teach it at training school? Mimi had her obedience classes when we first got her and she graduated with flying colours. I think she can be taught just about anything -like most dogs I guess- with the right instructor.
See... told you...smart dog you have there.

The best thing you can do is train her yourself. Or go to classes to learn to train her yourself.

Clicker training is the same thing they use on zoo animals and marine mammals in aquaria. Its a sound that marks the exact moment the animal does what you want, so training is waaay faster and you can teach much more elaborate behaviors. It basically teaches them not just to do what their told, but to learn how to learn.

There are classes available (hard to find, try google) If you want to learn how to do it yourself you tube has TONS of videos on the subject, for reading I'd go to Karen Pryor Clickertraining| dog training and cat training info, books, videos, events and read the site.

when you get to see the lightbulb go on over your dogs head thats a great moment.

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks heaps! I took a peep at Karen Pryor's website and it looks very good. This is going to be very useful for me. I make it my mission too to find a school that will either train Mimi or train ME! Will let you know when my mission is accomplished! By the way, last year, I was discouraged by Mimi's instructor from enrolling her for Flyball because she said that most dogs become neurotic and over-excited and she didn't want Mimi to become like that!!

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
I know this is a little late, but I have been having a hard time getting my internet connection going and have to use other means of coming online.

I was going to comment on how you were worried about not knowing how to handle her needs and what nots, but take it from someone who has raise many mixed breeds dogs and managed to have one who is now and old timer.

I have no ideah what on earth his breed(s) are but I have manaed to raise him healthy and happy to now. Yes, I had no idea about how he would turn out as a puppy but with a lot of taking tme to raise and getting to know him, I learned more from my mixed breed dog than any bio about breeds could give me.

The same I have with the puppy I had just recently dna tested who turn out to have boston terrier in her mix, but looks nothing like it. I have been learning fom spending time and watching her and seeing how she is and have an idea of what she may end up to be like as a grown up dog.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts