Dog Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our 6 month old border collie - beagle mix is halfway through beginner obedience. We had done quite a bit of training with him before class, and he's aces in a quiet living room with no distractions, lol, but around other dogs, forget it! So we thought a class, where he had to perform with other dogs around, would be great. He's doing okay - still a bit distractable, but he's getting much better at loose-leash walking in stimulating environments, following commands even with others around, etc. so we're pleased with his progress.

However, we played a "pass the puppy" game last week, and the trainer took his leash a few times to demonstrate loose-leash walking. She thinks he has separation anxiety because the whole time someone else had his leash, he kept looking back at my husband and I, and lying down, and acting disinterested in the people trying to give him treats.

The only other people who have held his leash besides us are the groomer and the vet, and he trots off with them without much encouragement. He sleeps happily in his crate overnight, and for two four-hour periods each day while we are at work. When we are home, I freely admit he follows one of us (myself, husband, two teenage children) around rather than stay in a room alone. I want to nip the problem in the bud if it is separation anxiety, but we also don't really see a problem in our dog not wanting to walk away with someone else. :confused:

I would appreciate thoughts from more experienced dog owners. Thanks!

·
Registered
502 Posts
I would not call that separation anxiety at all. Dogs become attached and conditioned to staying with their humans, so it's normal to be a bit confused if someone else tries to walk them. It doesn't sound like he's at all stressed about it though, so just practicing should take care of it. Sometimes people are a bit too eager to label behavior as separation anxiety.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. We will keep practicing. Maybe I will see if my sister can walk him occasionally just to mix it up a bit. I appreciate your feedback!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts