Dog Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got my dog Bella from a family who could no longer care for her and they didn't really tell me where they had gotten her so I basically have no idea what her life was like before she came with me. They only told me that she was a full bred Pomeranian and that she was about 2 years old. So for all I know she could possibly be from a Puppy Mill or Backyard Breeder.

She is also a bit bigger than the average Pomeranian so that's what made me question if she was actually full breed or not. When I first got her she was 8 pounds and now she's 10 pounds (I'm pretty sure she is a bit overweight from the extra treats I seem to always give her :/) but she would normally be around 8 to 9 pounds. Her fur is in no way flat and her face looks like a mix between foxy/beary.

I don't really care if she happened to be mixed because I love her regardless but I'm interested in your guys' opinions.

The first picture is from when I first got her and the rest are pretty recent. (BTW her hair can grow longer than how it looks in the pictures. She just gets haircuts) I have more pictures so if you'd like to see more just let me know :)

Attachments

·
Registered
917 Posts
She looks like a pom to me. She looks like what they use to look like when I was younger, I personally prefer this look over what is popular now.

Reactions: Sabina88

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
Looks purebred to me too. I know quite a few poms that are bigger, and they're a type of spitz, so it's kind of sad that people are breeding them for the flatter (brachycephalic) faces these days anyways.

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
looks like a normal Spitz to me...but if you don't have papers to prove they're purebred, you can expect them to be mixed.

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
I agree. She looks like a purebred to me, maybe just bred a bit larger.

·
Registered
178 Posts
It seems more recently pomeranians have been bred for shorter snouts and bulging foreheads, but the nicer/older fox-like look is still around and apparently you can also get a larger "throwback" pom sometimes. Here's a website that talks about the facial changes in recent years: Why Pomeranians can Look So Different

It explains that the fox like face is the breed standard and that the "teddy bear" face is not. It also explains how this look became so prevalent.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts