Dog Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a naturally calm dog- a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel. He is two years old. However, I am a little concerned that if I am not actively engaging him, he just sleeps- sometimes for 20 or more hours a day. He is rarely left alone for too long- I either work from home or take him to work. We live in a small apartment, but there is a really nice dog park in the complex that I take him to often. I take him on nice long walks, I take him to my parents, to friends, etc. He is well socialized, and when I am actively engaging him (taking him on a walk, in the dog park, playing with him- he is super happy and sociable and active). However, if I am not, he just sleeps.

Days when I cannot give him as much attention, or if it's raining or freezing outside or something, he will literally just sleep in his crate the whole day. While it's nice not to be bothered when I am busy, I am a little concerned that he is just bored and cannot entertain himself. For example, he will not play with his toys unless I play with him. I tried giving him bully sticks or yaks milk or bones, but he doesn't have much interest in them. Is this something I should concern myself with? Or is it normal?

·
Registered
442 Posts
I would take him for a vet check and maybe have some bloodwork done just to make sure. I think it's good that he enjoys his walks.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
A lot of dogs sleep for long periods. If the Vet finds nothing wrong with him, I would not worry. Bonnie my youngest dog, just over a year old, goes into her crate at around 8:30 pm and sleeps all night. This morning I had to call her out of her crate at 8 am or she would still be sleeping. She goes outside, comes back in and sleeps again unless I am doing something with her. It is really cold out right now with snow on the ground so she does not spend much time outside and does not sleep as much in the nicer weather when she will stay outside a lot more.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Normal from my perspective.

Pax is a high energy dog...but I if I am working from home in the office and not paying attention to him he is sleeping in the next room all day. He only plays or gnaws on his chews if I am in the room with him.

He is now three and will go hard ALL day long if given the opportunity but will also be a complete lazy couch potato the entire day if there is nothing to engage him. He is needy that way!

·
Registered
8 Posts
My dog is exactly like that. If no one is engaging her to play all she does is sleep and look out the window waiting for other family members to come home. I recently brought her to the vet and they did blood test on her and she was healthy but she was low on potassium and recommended me to give her some banana. She has always been a mellow dog all her life

·
Registered
3,885 Posts
16 hours is the average that dogs sleep per day. There is a difference between a dog that lounges around and a dog that outright sleeps for long periods of the day. I remember when I first got my dog, she was in bed snoring a lot. I don't doubt that the considerable stress she was under contributed to that (she eventually had to be medicated for anxiety). Now she comes to daycare with me for 6 hours per day and while it clearly takes a lot out of her, she only needs a brief snooze in the car ride home and for the rest of the evening she will be mellow, but not full-on crashing. I'd rate her as a medium-energy dog.

Bloodwork would be a good call, IMO. Something might be up with his thyroid or kidneys. We had a mexican rescue at our daycare who unexpectedly became very sleepy over the course of a few months... Turned out that he had contracted Tracker Dog Disease from ticks over 5 years ago in Mexico. The condition had been in a subclinical phase for years and years before entering the "chronic phase", which was the first time he actually showed symptoms of the disease!

·
Registered
38 Posts
As an alternative have you thought of a companion for him? Perhaps another dog would encourage stimulation and playing in the daytime.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts