Dog Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In about a week my dog is going to be neutered. When we made the appointment, the vet told us that he would have to stay overnight and that we could pick him up the next day. They said they want to monitor the anesthesia and such. I was just wondering if this is necessary. I feel like he would be much less stressed out and scared if he could come home. But if it best for him to be watched by the vet, I suppose we will do that. So, is it necessary for me to leave him overnight?

·
Super Moderator
10,820 Posts
Most of the time they send them home the evening of the surgery, after monitoring them for the day to make sure they are recovering good. If your dog is healthy and not high risk I'm not sure why they would be wanting to keep him overnight, it's something I'd ask the vet.

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
Agree with Rain, its normally an 'out patient' procedure, so a query to the Vet as to why the recommendation for the overnight stay, is entirely appropriate.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
We asked the vet the reason for the overnight stay, and they said to monitor how the anesthesia affects him. We will be calling the vet again to discuss further. I do not want him to have to stay overnight if it is not necessary.

·
Super Moderator
11,911 Posts
Ime depends on the vet/clinic. Some (typically the larger private practices with overnight staff) in my area have all animals stay overnight for observation after surgeries including spay/neuter. Some (the low cost spay/neuter clinic and the some of the small private practices) send home the same day as long as there weren't any complications.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This is a larger practice. It is the vet he typically goes to for wellness checks.
We are looking into having him neutered at my local shelter’s wellness clinic who offers really low prices for spaying/neutering. Thanks everyone for their input!

·
Registered
12 Posts
In about a week my dog is going to be neutered. When we made the appointment, the vet told us that he would have to stay overnight and that we could pick him up the next day. They said they want to monitor the anesthesia and such. I was just wondering if this is necessary. I feel like he would be much less stressed out and scared if he could come home. But if it best for him to be watched by the vet, I suppose we will do that. So, is it necessary for me to leave him overnight?

Talk to your vet and ask why he wants to keep him overnight and express your concerns.

With my animals, we drop them off in the morning and he does the procedure within a couple hours. Then I pick them up later in the day once they are fully awake and functioning normally. It may be possible that your vet likes to do his surgeries later in the day and allow the animals to rest overnight.

Never be afraid to ask your vet questions as to why they want to do what they are saying. Just like with yourself and your family, you want to know every possible solution and outcome.

·
Registered
713 Posts
I would only be leaving a dog overnight if they had a vet on staff at the office overnight monitoring the dogs as well.it does no good to leave a dog for monitoring if there is no one there, or no one capable of doing anything in the event of an emergency.

·
Registered
368 Posts
I have worked at clinics that did things both ways. Keeping dogs overnight is a policy by some places suggesting that a dog will be better off staying in a smaller, confined area and not moving around too much. Also this will allow the clinic to continue to monitor a pet's recovery, continue fluids if they feel that is needed, continue pain medication(s) and be sure the incision looks good 24 hours later post op (and be able to correct it if it's not perfect).

However, some clinics do not have overnight staff that can monitor/treat the animals all night. If not, then I feel it's better to let them go home the day of surgery (both males and females). Owners can watch their pets (though rarely as well as a technician can) and intervene/take the pet to the EC if something is wrong. Plus, your point about the pet feeling better at home is certainly a valid one.

However... feeling 'good' at home may also mean roughhousing with other pets, being more active in general, overeating, jumping off and on furniture etc.... all things that would be better NOT to do and things that would not happen in a padded, comfortable cage overnight.

I have also worked rescue for years for years and they literally never keep anything overnight... and rarely run into problems.

Where I work now we keep all 'major' surgeries overnight (the really involved ones get sent to an emergency clinic two doors down for even more intense observation), which male dog neuters are included in that group (not 'involved' but 'major'). But if I have a client who really wants to take their pet home that night, I have no problems with that so i break policy regularly. So far, have not had a situation that made me regret that. So you might talk to your doctor if you really want your pet home AND feel you can handle the responsibility of being sure he stays quiet and has no problems.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So we called the vets office today, and asked if anyone would be there overnight to monitor him...they said no. But they still insisted on an overnight stay. This makes no sense to me. At home, someone will at least be there to keep an eye on him. He would be all on his own in the vets office and if anything happened, no one could help him. Yet they want to charge for an overnight stay...sigh.
Needless to say, we insisted on taking him home, and they finally agreed...but we have to sign a bunch of papers. I feel much better being about to watch my baby than him being all alone in a strange place.

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Good thing you asked, that's absolutely ridiculous. Sounds like a way to just increase the charges. Males don't typically have to stay overnight for neutering, it stresses them out and they'd be alone overnight anyway. I'd watch my dog much better at home than completely alone in a cage.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts