Dog Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all! Newbie here from Southern California with a rescued 1/2 Cocker 1/2 Tibetian Spaniel.

Long story short....found a super scruffy, unchipped, non-neutered dog in a parking lot about 2.5 years. Took him to my vet wherein they bathed, shaved, vaccinated him. Instant love affair began!

I work from home so he's been my constant companion. We walk 3 times a day, play, etc. He has an open crate he sleeps in at night, but is welcomed onto the bed as well.

Of late, he has started crying when I leave house for pretty much any time frame. Errands, take out the trash, you name it. Clearly he is really, really attached....for which I'm very grateful, but also worried. Is he too attached or bonded?

Should I think about getting him a sibling/friend? I have 2 cats with whom he interacts. They touch noses, share water bowls and live together very peacefully. They don't play or sleep together. So I am asking specially if another dog might be someone I need to entertain.

Thank you in advance for your thoughts.

·
Premium Member
4,613 Posts
I'm a very strong believer that when you add a new dog it should always be for the people, not for the sake of another dog.
Mainly because it is possible your dog won't be friends with another dog you bring in (My Aussie is very friendly, but there are some dogs that he's just "meh" about), and another dog will not guarantee help with any sort of separation anxiety. If YOU want to get another dog, by all means, look into it, but don't get one because you think it will help your dog.

I think you should start "leaving" your dog for extremely short periods of time. As in walk out your front door, and as soon as he is quiet come back in. You can vary the time, so he never knows how long you'll be gone.

Something I used to do was pick up my keys, put my shoes on, and then go watch tv or work on my computer. My dogs stopped bothering with when I was coming or going because maybe I wasn't. :p

1 - 2 of 2 Posts