Dog Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dog had surgery on both knees last fall and when he got off the pain meds, he started throwing up hard food (white foamy throwup). My vet and I think it's an ulcer caused by the meds. He's gone thru lots of tests and x-rays and no problem has been found, but these tests can't show an ulcer. He's been on Rx meds for a few months now and is still on Sucralfate and Pepcid, but he's not improving. We feed him canned food and rice, but he still throws up every now and then and can't have anything hard (no dry food). Here are my options:
- purchase a homeopathic/herbal supplement I found online that may help (take him off Sucralfate & Pepcid)
- do a upper GI test that will check for obstructions and stomach/intestines but still may not show an ulcer (costs a few hundred dollars)
- do a scope test (endoscopy?) where they put something down his throat, but it will not check the intestines

On another forum, one person said "Foamy vomit is usual bile, not from an ulcer." Is that true? I need advice on what kind of test should be done next.
Thanks.

·
Banned
5,528 Posts
IMO, if he's still not normal after a month of meds, it's not an ulcer.

Yellow liquid is bile, not white and foamy.

Has he had an abdominal ultrasound?
How often is he vomiting? How quickly after eating?
Is the vomit only white foam or is it sometimes different?
Is it truly vomit or is it regurgitation?
How fast does he eat?

Both studies could be of benefit, though he obviously isn't fully obstructed for 6 months. Partial obstruction/gastric foreign body? Sure. Esophageal stricture? Sure. Eats too fast? Sure. IMO, ulcer after all this time is unlikely.

Until you know what is going on, I wouldn't stop the sucralfate and pepcid and start something homeopathic. Use in conjunction? You can try it probably but I think both tests and an abdominal ultrasound could benefit.

Also, a scope would see into the stomach and upper intestines to look for an ulcer. Would also allow the vet to get samples if anything looked abnormal.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I wonder if your dog doesn't have an esophageal stricture secondary to a regurgitation event with anesthesia. I agree esophagoscopy and gastroscopy are indicated here.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
THANKS for the in-depth responses. Was not getting that anywhere else. I want to take him off Sucralfate because he's been on it for months and not getting better. He only throws up when he eats something hard (dry food, a dog treat). Before this started happening, he was a normal eater and ate pretty slowly. He always had canned mixed with dry. Now he gets rice and canned and eats quicker (eats twice a day). He's been throwing up about once a week - the other day, he was chewing on a rawhide and after awhile threw up a little bit. The vomit is always white and usually the food is in it.

No he has not had an ultrasound. He throws up about a minute after he's had the hard food. His stomach convulses. The place where he had the surgery did say it could be stricture. But my other vet thought an ulcer and I saw that the surgery meds could cause an ulcer.

I can do the tests you guys have suggested. Thanks again.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts