Dog Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings,

My 5 yr old Aussie got a surprising blood test result that indicates some kidney issue, and so our vet had us put him on kd prescription diet (he happens to be going to the vet for a follow-up tomorrow). He has been on kd for a couple months and I got a notion to weigh him last week and his weight was up to 60 lbs; normal for an aussie of his size might be 53 (he is a little above average size for an Aussie, I would say), and maybe he got as high as 55 at some point, but 60 is noticeably heavy for him. He doesn't particularly look fat, by the way, but that is because his thick coat makes his weight a little difficult to visually gauge.

So we dialed back his portion size a little...he now gets exactly a cup of kd dry food in the morning and exactly a cup at night. The bag says 50 lbs dogs should get 2.5 cups per day and 60 lb dogs should get 3 cups per day, so we are feeding him less than the recommended amount! I weighed him today and guess what: 61 lbs! He gets no table scraps; he does get one Pedigree Dentastix per day after dinner, but he has been getting those regularly before we noticed the weight gain.

He does get regular exercise, usually two very long walks per day, with some running and playing with other dogs in the mix. It has been over 100 degrees where I live recently (southern California, USA), so we had to skip some of his evening walks recently, but I doubt missing a few walks would have contributed to much weight gain. Does anyone know if kd prescription diet...while probably good for the kidneys...tends to put weight on a dog?

Depending on what the blood tests show tomorrow, we might consider putting him back on his old food if it seems the kd is contributing to the weight gain.

Thanks!

Otherchuck

·
Registered
37 Posts
I would suggest that you cut his food back a little more. The guidelines on the bag/box are only as a guide, some dogs need more and some less. The daily Dentastix will have a food value too (although not good food value), so maybe stop giving these too.

·
Registered
105 Posts
First off disclaimer, i'm just a person who owns dogs, not with any veterinary knowledge or pro. So #1 is to see what your vet says and what i'm saying might just give a little more insight.

My Chelsea had kidney failure (not like your pup who just has elevated levels), she was almost 15YO. She had trouble eating because she had an upset tummy often and acid reflux. Also to reduce trauma on the injured kidneys, she was put on a low protein diet. I could see the other ingredients contributing to weight gain since it was not an issue for Chelsea's condition and in fact she was losing weight as the disease progressed.

So once the kidneys are healed, he may be able to go back on his regular food, so I would do as @forgotten suggested and reduce the amount.

My pup Ozzy was on Royal Canin food from the breeder, and I switched him over to Acana puppy. RC suggests twice the amount of food for his weight than Acana, which says something about the ingredients, but just to say every kibble is different and for different conditions.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts