Dog Forum banner

Does anyone use diatomaceous earth?

1K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  crock 
#1 ·
Does it work as well as flea preventatives such as Revolution or Comfortis? Has anyone used DE soap before?

#2 ·
I don't know about it working as well as Revolution or Comfortis, but it sure seemed to help rid my apartment of some ticks. It also works as a great roach killer (just mix it with some flour or cocoa powder and let the roaches eat up). I would stick with preventatives if I were you, but it certainly can't hurt to try first if you ever end up with problems. It is a heck of a lot safer than dips and bug bombing.

#4 ·
Reportedly it can repel them because fleas naturally avoid it, but I wouldn't bet any money on it working like that. If you treat the dog, any fleas should be killed that walk around in the DE. I would still use a flea preventative, especially if fleas are bad. DE plus flea control would probably work very nicely.

#8 ·
One of our local pet stores sells it as a treatment, but I haven't tried it.

If you scroll down to below the Quick Reply box, you'll see a list of "Similar Threads" if you'd like to read more. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.