Dog Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello everyone. Has anyone ever used pet insurance and found it to be useful? Are there loopholes that these insurance agencies try to use for pet coverage? I've read mixed reviews examples on this home page and wondering your opinion from a fiscal perspective. I suspect to be seeing the vet more often in the near future and maybe getting her on anti-seizure meds. Weighing the pros and cons of insurance for her based on worth. Thanks in advance!

·
Super Moderator
1,270 Posts
Since you ask about anti seizure meds, I am guessing this is because your dog has had a seizure already. Most insurance companies will not cover pre existing conditions.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Since you ask about anti seizure meds, I am guessing this is because your dog has had a seizure already. Most insurance companies will not cover pre existing conditions.
Hmm didn't even think about it. Thank

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
If you wait until your pup is sick, insurance probably won't be very useful for you. We got coverage for ours right after we adopted her, she was maybe a year old at the time and healthy. As she has aged, now eleven and a half years, her medical issues and needs have escalated, all of which are covered since she had no medical issues when we originally got the policy. I now get very close to the premium back every year, and a couple of years ago, she developed an auto-immune disorder, requiring lots of very expensive tests to diagnose. All covered. That was a very good year to have the coverage. I would not be without it, for our dog, any more than I would be without coverage for my wife or me.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'd agree with Laco. My company offered for a discounted rate but my dogs are (large) 5yr old, 9 year old with preexistingissues, and 10 yr old with lots of preexisting issues. It came in handy for an emergency porcupine quill removal but otherwise nothing will really be covered going forward. I ended up opening a high yield savings account for them as kind of an HSA instead. But I would probably get it for a puppy going forward.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts