Dog Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Look at this inscription form for a dog show specifically line 5, dog size.

http://www.fca.org.ar/images/FormInsExpos.pdf

The form is in Spanish with (English Translations in parenthesis).

I don't recognize the Spanish word "Kanichen" and Kanichentekel really doesn't seem like an English word to me.

I assume its a size of dog, smaller than a miniature but what's the definition. :confused:

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
I don't think it's Spanish...but a German or Dutch word that's been misspelled on the form.

From both a Bing and Google search I kept coming up with Kaninchentekel and and Kaninchen. (there's another 'N' in the word after that first 'I' )

From what I could see it means like a small (rabbit) smooth haired Dachshund

The Rabbit Dachshund Smooth-haired: Rabbit Dachshund Smooth-haired breedig (Ukunda FCI)

BINGS Results: https://www.bing.com/search?q=Kanichentekel&go=Submit&qs=bs&form=QBRE

GOOGLES Results: https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&es_th=1&ie=UTF-8#q=Kanichentekel&es_th=1

----------
Stormy

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thats what came up for me as well but if it means Dachshund then I have no idea why it's on the form as it is ???

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
In looking at the list...it starts out with larger, going down to smaller in size to the last one... Kaninchen - so I have to wonder if the person who made the form, thought it meant something like 'teacup'...or something smaller than "Dwart" - which I think is another misspelling - dwarf.

I seems to me that the form was done up by someone who isn't familiar or comfortable in using foreign terms...and misspelled some things and maybe just got it flat out wrong. Might have looked at forms in other languages, and found that word Kaninchentekel on a form that was strictly for a Dachshund event...but didn't understand that and transferred the word over to their form. ??? It might also be that they had enough people apply for that type of Dachshund that they added the word in...just for that group.

I know a little Spanish, not a lot...and same with Korean...and I know how stuff can be changed in translation...lol...so it wouldn't surprise me how mistakes like that could turn up on a form where someone is trying to accommodate another person's language.

Stormy

·
Registered
54 Posts
Hello;

Teckel is actually mostly used in hunting is a synonym for the German word Dackel, which is another word for the German word Dachshund.
I just know Teckel because in Germany the main club for dachshunds is called "Deutscher Teckelclub).
Kanninchen is the German word for bunny, that is right.
I looked up Kanninchendackel and it actually seems to be a small breed of dachshund.
Hope this helps.
I was interested in this topic because our neighbor actually has 3 of them and they are really an interesting breed.

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
it a dackel bred for hunting rabbits.
Kaninchen is the German word for rabbit. :)

·
Registered
951 Posts
it a dackel bred for hunting rabbits.
Kaninchen is the German word for rabbit. :)
Mathilda is spot on.

Teckle is a term used to describe the hunting line of Dachshunds, especially in Germany, but the term is applied to hunting lines in the USA too, and probably other places.

There are different types of hunting that dachshunds do and there are subtypes of the breed that do that task. Some Teckles specialize in deer hunting, more specifically tracking the blood trail of wounded deer. Others are used like terriers. The third type, the rabbit hunter, is used like a beagle.

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
the Kaninchenteckel is a bit smaller than regular one, as far as I know (I'm no Dackel pro lol), because they need to be small enough to fit inside the rabbit burrows.

teckel is used seldomly in everyday speech in Germany it's more of a hunter term... the name "Dachshund" isn't used at all. it's just what the English speaking countries call the breed.
most people will call it "Dackel".

1 - 8 of 8 Posts