Dog Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks
I would like to figure out if Canaan dog is suitable for me.
I live in 3 bed. appartment and have cat. I have a day job but want to devote morning and evening time to the dog.
I am trying to figure out if dog will have enough companionship from me and if cat's company is considered a company for dog?
I am also concerned about canaan not to be excessive barker.
Should I all together look at different bread? I do like a lot look of canaan dog.

·
Registered
12,135 Posts
Hi folks
I would like to figure out if Canaan dog is suitable for me.
I live in 3 bed. appartment and have cat. I have a day job but want to devote morning and evening time to the dog.
I am trying to figure out if dog will have enough companionship from me and if cat's company is considered a company for dog?
I am also concerned about canaan not to be excessive barker.
Should I all together look at different bread? I do like a lot look of canaan dog.
I do not know anything about this breed to be honest but just looked it up online (dogbreedinfo.com) and it says "It is a natural guard dog as well as an excellent watchdog that tends to bark a lot"

Have you ever owned a dog before? This dog does not seem like a first time dog owner breed. It demands a lot of training and needs a good "pack leader". It also says it is a herding dog which means it needs to be socialized with your cat while young. It says the dog needs socialization with children and strangers since they get protective. I recommend checking out the site and possibly rethink to a more common and settle dog.

·
Registered
18,782 Posts
this a a primative type breed...so they will be a bit different to train and live with than a normal dog.

I think your house size and the cat would be fine.

As far as barking...if hes lonely, scared, or bored, he will probably bark. So if you can prevent those things, your golden.

But not a good first dog IMO.

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts