Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, everybody! I have a puppy named Maui, half pitbull half husky, and he is the best dog a girl could ask for. He is very high energy, so I take him for 3 walks a day, as I live an otherwise very sedentary lifestyle, and it's the only way I really know to give him a least a little bit of exercise during the day. He used to have a buddy named Charlotte, but unfortunately she has passed away, and he's been very lonely ever since.

As I said, I take him for 3 walks a day, about 15-20 minutes each. At first, it was fun, but lately it's become such a chore and I've been getting so fed up.

This neighborhood has many dogs, but I've come to learn that most of these dogs can be very aggressive, as they are trained to be guard dogs and such. Occasionally (way too many times for comfort, tbh), we come across a dog that has gotten out of its yard and run away from home. Maui and I have been chased and nearly attacked, but thankfully we have always been smarter than the other guy lol. I started walking with a stun baton, which I read online really helps to scare dogs away. It gives me a little comfort, but sometimes I wonder if I"ll be able to use it when the times.

My other issue lately has been with people getting upset with me over dog **** and piss. We don't have sidewalks in this neighborhood, and so a lot of time I have to walk Maui over the front end of the lawn. If he goes number two, I ALWAYS pick up after him. He likes to pee on grass and on Tuesdays, he LOVES marking each and every trash that's been brought to the side of the road. For the most part, nobody seems to care, but recently, I was confronted by a neighbor who got upset with me when Maui pissed on their trash can. Like I said, most people don't care, but I completely understood that they didn't like it, so I said okay, and now we don't even walk on that lawn.

Every time I take him for a walk, it's like I gotta avoid another problem and I hate it.

I've been wanting to get another dog lately, and I'm curious to know if it would alleviate some of the pressure. When Maui and Charlie were together, they'd play for literally hours, and then just sleep the rest of the day. We'd take them for walks occasionally, but they seemed to be content just running around the backyard. If I were a more athletic person, maybe I could do more with him, but unfortunately, that's not possible for me.

·
Registered
518 Posts
I can relate to that, but for other reasons (my dog goes nuts every time she sees another dog. It's really NOT fun), and I do have the neighbors who don't want them to pee on their grass too. For the trash cans though, I'd probably avoid Tuesdays anyway, dragging a trash can covered in dog piss is not exactly fun. But I can't imagine having to carry a stun baton! Ugh.

I can imagine that no sidewalks would make this dreadful too... Would it be possible to cut it down to one walk, but find a better place to walk him, even if it involves driving? Just a thought... a park, another neighborhood...

Another dog might help, but I wouldn't completely count on it... I haven't walked my dog much since June because it's been so hot (and I'm losing my patience about her leash reactivity). We have a friend with a dog her age that she sorta 'grew up' with, and they go completely crazy when they are together, playing non stop for hours... She seems bored when he leaves... so I wanted to get another dog for her to play with as well (to be fair - we have another dog, but he's 14, so there's not much play factor anymore there). Anyway, we actually got another dog two days ago, he's 6 months younger than her (so 13 months), and the first thing they did was chase each other a bit outside... but they haven't really played together that much.. just a few minutes here and there. Really, they still spend most of their day chilling inside (they're both pretty laid back dogs though). But that's really better for us than two crazy 40 lbs dogs running all over the house all the time (especially as our new dog is a newf). But it's really hot outside, so hopefully it will change in the next few weeks.

Honestly, most people I know that have more than one dog don't have dogs that really play with each other that much... even the most active breeds. You'd really have to spend a bit of time with a new dog and see how they do together first. My sister got a second dog and the puppy plays with her boyfriend's dog way more than hers! But I believe that dogs benefit from having a companion anyway.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.