Dog Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My parents want to get a doberman with cropped ears and a docked tail, yet i have read up on how cruel it is to the animal. i believe they look much better with their natural ears and tails. will most breeders automaticly crop the ears and cut the tail? if my parents are to get a doberman, i would prefer to have one with natural ears and tails for it is better for the animals. pretty much i just need any information about doberman's with cropped ears and docked tails.

·
Registered
321 Posts
The animals are put under anesthesia when getting their ears cropped. After they're cropped you receive pain pills for the dog [at least, I did anyway].
The tails are done at 2-3 days old, so most breeders will have it done and they pups are too young to remember.
The natural look tends to make them resemble Weimaraners. The animal doesn't really feel much pain when the procedures are done if you get a good veterinarian.

·
Registered
20 Posts
The animals are put under anesthesia when getting their ears cropped. After they're cropped you receive pain pills for the dog [at least, I did anyway].
The tails are done at 2-3 days old, so most breeders will have it done and they pups are too young to remember.
The natural look tends to make them resemble Weimaraners. The animal doesn't really feel much pain when the procedures are done if you get a good veterinarian.
I'm sorry... but I worked at a vet and I will never forget the day I heard puppies screaming, went into the room when they were finished and saw tiny puppy tails in the sink. Yeah, they don't REMEMBER it, maybe, but they FEEL it when it's happening.

Ear cropping is worse, even though the dogs are given pain medication they also spend several weeks with their ears taped up and can suffer complications, nevermind risks of anesthesia.

I do NOT agree with cosmetic surgery on pets. And there is no other reason for these procedures to be done. It's completely unnecessary, a waste of money, risk to the pet, and in my opinion, cruel.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Tami, if you have a breeder in mind before the pups are born, request that the tail is not docked and see what they say. Depending on how the breeder works and how the pups are chosen, you may be able work with the breeder. Otherwise I'm sure there are breeders out there who also agree that cosmetic surgery for pets is cruel and may not dock tails at all.

·
Registered
8 Posts
From what I understand most breeders will at least dock the tails. Pups are docked at 3 days generally and at that point the breeder usually does not know which pups will go to which owners, which one might be shown, completed with, or kept by the breeder.

I think you probably would have more flexibility with the ears, as they are done at a later time. Some dobe breeders seem to require that their pup's ears be done and others don't--it would just depend on the breeder.

While I don't think that I would have a dog with cropped ears if I had a choice, I don't think that people who decide to have it done are cruel. Actually, in the case of tails, there are hunting dogs whose tails are docked for very good reason--tail injuries are common in the field and tails take *forever* to heal.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I agree at all with "dazydaizee" !!!

Dogs need their tail as you need your fingers!!!

In nowadays in most countries they have ban to cut dog's tail.....

·
Registered
181 Posts
Why would you want to cut a dog's tail (unless it's a hunting dog) and ears anyway? it only makes it harder for your dog to communicate with other dogs. Not to mention that you can learn a lot about a dog's state of mind if you watch it's tail.
A dog is a living creature who can feel pain (sure, they're put under anesthesia, but they can feel the pain when it's effects are over, just like how we humans feel the pain after a surgery). When will humans learn to accept dogs as they are? if you want something to look like how you imagine exactly, then get a statue or something.

·
Registered
18,782 Posts
At 2-3 days old the pain receptors in the puppies skin are not functional yet. Which is why tails are often clipped early.

I personally like the cropped/docked look but would never do it to an older dog.

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
713 Posts
I've seen enough dogs with tail injuries and helped with enough tail docks to be pro-dock for life. I'm so thankful that whoever bred my springer made the descision to dock. She wags her tail so violently it's almost a gaurentee that she would have broken her tail if she had it. And the whole not being able to comunitcate with others is total bs. My girl has no problems expressing her emotions or socalizing with other dogs. And while the pups may feel some discomfort it's no more traumatic for them then being away from the litter and thier mom for the few minuets that it's being done. ALL of the tail injuries I've seen have been traumatic ordeals for both pet and owner that almost always resulted in a tail amputaion.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I've seen enough dogs with tail injuries and helped with enough tail docks to be pro-dock for life. I'm so thankful that whoever bred my springer made the descision to dock. She wags her tail so violently it's almost a gaurentee that she would have broken her tail if she had it. And the whole not being able to comunitcate with others is total bs. My girl has no problems expressing her emotions or socalizing with other dogs. And while the pups may feel some discomfort it's no more traumatic for them then being away from the litter and thier mom for the few minuets that it's being done. ALL of the tail injuries I've seen have been traumatic ordeals for both pet and owner that almost always resulted in a tail amputaion.
i agree with animalcracker. I have 3 corgis all whoms tils have been doecked. i has no tail at all, and two have a little stub. The one with no tail and one with a stub shake their whole body side to side when they are happy, and the other can still wigle his tail whick he does 24/7. If your dog is just going to be a couch potato it doesn't matter but if your dog is going to be hiking with you or hunting it is prob better to get the tail docked, the ears don't matter as much

·
Registered
2 Posts
Our doberman has had his ears and tail cropped by the breeder upon request at an early age under anesthesia... I don't think he recalls any pain and lets us play with his ears.. I rather like the look.

·
Registered
4 Posts
The thing is though sometimes the breeder docks the tail but leaves it too long. Also the breeder i got my Doberman from, the hair dont grow back on the tip of the tails. Sometimes its good to dock and crop, but then sometimes is bad. I dont like my Dobermans tail. the tip of the tail doesnt have hair. but the Breeder doesnt believe in cropping ears. I Dont like long doggie tails so i perfer my dogs tail docked. But the long ears make him look cute. I know its not all that good to take away from Gods makings. But i perfer the cropped ears and docked tail.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
It will be your parents dog and parents decision. So I wouldn't be concerned with it if I were you. If you'd like to have a Dobie with natural that is your choice. I don't agree with cropping for no reason, but for certain working breeds it is good. It can prevent later injury. I also don't understand these show people which do it, they say they want to keep with the breed stander that historically the working dogs had their ears cropped yet they crop the ears very long. Working Dobies ears were shorter.

I don't like it down without a legit reason like for working dog. However I'm a big hypocrit when it comes to Dobes. I don't like it done without a reason on other breeds but then when I see a natural Dobe they just don't appeal to me. Not sure why. I did see a beautiful red natural ear Dobie couple days ago, will say was pretty. I think it is just the black and tans that look odd to me.

As for tails I've dogs that had to have tail amputations and I've several right now with happy tail. Though I still wouldn't dock/wouldn't want my Pits' tails done as pups. All the pain could be prevented but I still don't see the need of it. I try my best to keep their tails from getting too much injury and treat the injury they do have. It can be a pain in other ways like cleaning all the blood off the walls, fridge, doorways, my pants, ect but what can you do when they almost constantly wag their tails.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I do NOT agree with cosmetic surgery on pets. And there is no other reason for these procedures to be done. It's completely unnecessary, a waste of money, risk to the pet, and in my opinion, cruel.
I totally agree. Luckily in Switzerland and I think in all other European countries this barbarism is prohibited.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Here in Australia it is also prohibited to dock tails on animals. The practice has been banned for several years now. I whole heartedly agree. When our JR injured her tail, we did everything in our power and urged the vet to save it. Her tail is like a happy periscope!! She runs through the fields in the long grass and all we see is her white wagging tail. That's how we know where she is! It is so part of her character!

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
I totally agree. Luckily in Switzerland and I think in all other European countries this barbarism is prohibited.
If you totally agree then you both need to get an education. Just because it can be done for cosmetic reasons or some people chose that as the reason doesn't mean it is ONLY done for cosmetic reasons. As the ignorance quoted by the other poster stated below

I do NOT agree with cosmetic surgery on pets. And there is no other reason for these procedures to be done.

It is like saying mammaplasty is only done for cosmetic reasons. :eyeroll:

It is cool if someone disagrees 100% with any ear cropping/docking. I've no problem because everyone has the right to their own opinion. They should however come right out and say that instead of using a false reason. Personally I don't support cropping for cosmetic reasons and don't see the point in it.The dog does not care how he/she looks it is owner who wishes for a different look. They will be fine natural.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Somehow you got me here -and somehow you don't...

I disagree with ear/tail cropping/docking. It's forbidden here and elsewhere in Europe.

Give me a reason for doing it that is not cosmetic.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Somehow you got me here -and somehow you don't...

I disagree with ear/tail cropping/docking. It's forbidden here and elsewhere in Europe.

Give me a reason for doing it that is not cosmetic.
With hunting dogs, with terriers if there ratters then rats can grab hold of their tails and cause injury, dogs working in the county side can seriously injure their tails, and it can be easier to dock them.

I am all for docking for working purposes, I've only seen one dog who had her ears cropped and she looked happy, I don't agree with it being done for looks, and when some of the breed standards say that its to keep with what the dog was originally bred for I have to laugh, I mean I think that most dogs that fit the standards of today couldn't do a days work, and I think that the cocker spaniels are a great example of this, I mean just look at the show strain and the working strain, they are like different dogs, but I am 100% behind docking for working purposes.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I know the argument that with hunting dogs it is more practical/safe to dock the tails. Switzerland is not exactly that great hunting country, but there are a lot of hunters here too and their dogs with their natural tails are completely fine.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts