Dog Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
10,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do your dogs like being held? Pumpkin loves being held and picked up by me. He does "ask" to be picked up too. Kenya merely tolerates it.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Buster loves being 'hugged' he puts his paws on my shoulders and presses his head against mines. It's so adorable. He also likes sitting next to me on the couch curled up next to me with my arms around him :)

·
Registered
906 Posts
Boone likes to be close, and will lean against us and ask for pets and belly scratches. Sometimes I hug him, but I don't put my arms around his shoulders, I put one arm around under his belly instead. He tolerates that, but as soon as I try to hug around his neck or shoulders, he tenses up and tries to pull away. He's 55 lbs, so I don't try to pick him up.

·
Registered
914 Posts
Nope. Charlie really doesn't like it. He does like body contact and will seek it but on his terms. James will jump into my lap (22 kg :eek:) when he is scared but I think he doesn't like being hold that much either he is just more polite about it.
I think almost no dogs really like it, the whole hugging is a primate thing, but many dogs learn to tolerate and associate it with good things. My wife hugs and kisses our dogs regardless of how they feel about it, sigh...

·
Super Moderator
10,820 Posts
Zody doesn't mine being picked up, but prefers to stay on his own 4 paws, he loved cuddling up against me, and laying on my lap, doesn't care if I drape my arm over him or lay my hand on him while he does so. He HATES hugs, if I pick him up to hug him he'll struggle against it.

My friend, whom he loves, doesn't seem to understand his hatred of hugs and so he now tends to stay off her lap, she doesn't seem to have a clue as to why.

Reactions: ColliesRock

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Tessa loves all forms of body contact, from pretty much everyone. If we have visitors come over, she sits and stares at them until they look at her; she then will take that eye contact as an invite to jump into their laps and make herself at home. Very uncomfortable when she's currently 32 kgs (64 lbs). It's why we tell everyone ahead of time, "if you don't want her all over you and in your lap, then don't pay attention to her please"

·
Registered
531 Posts
He likes laying on me, wrapping paws around me, licking all up in my business... and chest scratches, belly rubs etc. are good, too. But hugging and toting aren't his style.

He sometimes climbs up into my lab when I'm sitting in a computer chair - it was his favorite place to sleep when he was a puppy - but quickly realizes that it's no longer comfortable and climbs back down. Then forgets and does it again.

·
Registered
669 Posts
If I'm on the bed or couch Quenya likes lying across my lap, but she doesn't like being picked up in the air.\

Victoria loves any and all forms of physical contact with me.

Skipper likes being held if he's uncertain or tired, but is usually feeling too energetic to enjoy being still.

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Heck no,he never liked anything that is too restraining like carrying or tight hugs. He will give full growling warnings if you try.
Otherwise can be hands on enough and can even be overwhelming with his love and body contact but just not those two things.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Lila doesn't like being picked up but tolerates it. She LOVES hugs and will bug people she likes for them :D

Reactions: ColliesRock

·
Registered
5 Posts
Zoe loves it. She wants to be with me all the time. when we are in the car she has to sit on my lap and she has to sleep with me and when I dont let her ... her eyes killing me so ya she always win. :)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Theo loves giving hugs and will jump up and put his paws on shoulders for them if allowed. Doesn't mind being picked up either... but people don't try very often! Gavin is ridiculously cuddly and thinks he's a lap dog. He's always falling over himself trying to get in my lap for hugs and cuddles, and will walk under the hands of unsuspecting friends and family to FORCE them to pet him. He won't give strangers the time of day though and does not want to be touched by them.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Boone likes to be close, and will lean against us and ask for pets and belly scratches. Sometimes I hug him, but I don't put my arms around his shoulders, I put one arm around under his belly instead. He tolerates that, but as soon as I try to hug around his neck or shoulders, he tenses up and tries to pull away. He's 55 lbs, so I don't try to pick him up.
This pretty much sums up Betsy, she will lean against me to instigate a hug, but doesn't like me to hold her too tight & it usually has to be on her terms. She doesn't like being picked up, which never happens unless the vet needs to put her on his table, she then cries :confused: but once up is fine. Like Boone, she's quite a large dog so I don't try to pick her up generally. She does like to get up close & personal by climbing on my knee, she doesn't seem to know she's not a lap dog! :eyeroll:

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Ella is 35kg soo .. havent really tried picking her up after she passed the 15kg mark :D but even then, she didnt like it, kind of went stiff.

she loves hugs if she`s in the mood for it (which is most of the time). but full-body hugs are reserved for family&friends only .. people not that close must settle on pats on the shoulders and chest.

other times she gives you the look that makes you get up and move on very quickly :D (like when she is napping and you get the uurrge to hug her... yeah, not the greatest idea in the world).

My Family`s dog Saara, a lab mix who weighs as much as Ella and is 10, still somehow sees herself as a tiny lapdog ... she loves humans and human contact every day, all day, forever. Even when napping or eating.

Family`s latest addition, a miniature poodle called mr R, LOVES LOVES LOVESbeing held and snuggled. ...if something scares him, he jumps up against you asking to be hold and then presses his head against your neck .. cutest thing ever :)

·
Banned
6,350 Posts
Jess doesn't seem too mind too much she does like to cuddle up to me if im not on laptop if she truly wants it she will cuddle regardless. But hugs and being picked up soft as. She gives precious hugs and in many awkward positions lol. Charlie likes hugs and cuddles I swear he getting softer and softer now he few weeks off ten years. Trouble is ozzy bullies his way in to destroy it. So best do that when he not there or outside in garden with bk door at parents closed.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Gracie loves to be held and pretty much wants to be held against your chest. She's too big to do that for more than a few minutes though.

Eva will nudge your knees apart and turn her body so that she's between your legs and leaning against your chest. Once you hold her, she puts her head on your shoulder.

Erik likes bear hugs. He backs up against you so that you lift him up and hug him while rubbing his tummy. It's not a hug for beginners, and he's going to give you his full weight and do as little work as possible to keep him upright. You have to be ready for him to do his boneless melting thing and drop to the floor for more tummy rubs. No idea how this hug was developed, but after doing this several times a day, your arms get a good work-out.

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
Lexy's heavy, so I don't pick her up too much. I do have the habit of hugging and laying all over her - she tolerates this. I think for her, the attention outweighs whether or not she really enjoys it.

Chisum isn't huge and he's actually quite lean, but for some reason he's just solid. He doesn't mind being picked up, but I hate doing it because he's just so heavy.

And Sophie - there are times she does, and times she doesn't. She likes to be picked up if she's cold, or wants a better view, or is nervous for whatever reason. She'll come up and put her paws on your hip - we call it "begging for upsies".

1 - 20 of 31 Posts