Dog Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone!
I am just curious, who uses natural remedies to prevent/treat flea and ticks, and who uses medication prescribed by the vet. I hear a lot of negative reviews on medications causing side effects such as seizures or death in dogs from flea and tick medications prescribed by the vet. I have been using Bravecto (chewables) on both my Shepherds for about a year now. This medication lasts 3 months. They are over four years old. I was always skeptical on using it until one of my dogs actually got fleas, and had to treat him which work perfectly, and since we take them to wooden areas they have been prone to getting ticks. I live in Canada. I’m just curious for your opinions! Please also state the breed your dog is thanks :)

·
Registered
88 Posts
I used trifexis for years then switched to bravecto (given every 3 months) and interceptor + (given every month) they protect against diff stuff

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8 Posts
We use Heartguard for heart worm and the other one the same company makes for flea and tick. Used the applicator Frontline once on our Maltipoo. He was not himself for 11 hrs. That stuff made him not to be able to lay down or sleep or sit for that long. Used it on our Rat Terrier too at the same time. Absolutely no side effects. I do know that whatever I give the dogs now. I keep a close eye on them. No ticks or fleas! Wish I could say the same for my wife and I. Both had three ticks on ourselves this year. Found them before they dug in. Nasty lil bugs.

·
Registered
492 Posts
I use comfortis plus for my dog which does worm, flea and heartworm which is an oral tablet. Ive never used a tick product. I use it every 6 weeks. Ive never had any issues with it but i agree its very scary all the reviews. It seems to be the ones that do ticks aswell seem to have the worst reviews

·
Registered
61 Posts
I user Earth Animal internal yeast free powder for my chocolate labs. It’s the best tick treatment I have found yet. It’s all good clean ingredients and it really works. I haven’t had a tick yet this year and the dogs go hunting, fishing, and hiking with my family.

My previous white lab had seizures from vet recommended tick treatment. So always read the side effects!

·
Registered
523 Posts
We use both..
We give our boys a block of Sheep fat with garlic every day and someone just made them a necklace each with EM beads. I dont know if they work but Im not going to dismiss it out of hand..

In summer we also use a spot on treatment called Advantix.

Theres been a lot of bad press about bravecto. My main objection is that it doesnt prevent or ward off the dogs have to get the fleas or tick to bite them before it works.. I want to prevent the ticks biting in the first place..
Also if I apply a spot on and my dogs have a reaction I can remove it by washing.. I cant remove a pill from their system..

Murhy is a stabij (long coat) and George is a Beagle + short coat

·
Registered
3 Posts
I use Simparica and Sentinel. I have never had any side effects for my two yorkies. Both work great. I tried Frontline at first but I do not like having to apply the medicine on their coats; which makes it oily. Since I started giving them the tablet much easier process.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts