Dog Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know it hasn't been too long, but a friend of mine thinks Loki looks "worse" than he did when i first got him, and said i should check and see if he is sick cause of his weight, he has already been to a vet, and i don't see much of a difference in him... He is 54lbs, eats 2 1/2 cups a day and gets big pieces of raw meat in the A.M. I do take him EVERYWHERE with me though, so he does a lot. He is shorter than my 43lb dog Scruffy (and i always here that she is too skinny too) i don't think he is too skinny, but i am wondering if you see a difference in him since i got him?
And it's so useless trying to explain things to people they just don't get it and they are all "is he gonna get any bigger??" "He is sooo small for 3" "is he gonna thicken up at all" "well my pit is this big and blah blah blahhh"
When i first got him:

Now

And also Scruffy :D just cause

·
Super Moderator
10,741 Posts
He looks like he'd rate around a high 3 or a low 4 on the body scale, and could gain a pound or two without putting him anywhere near a 5. I don't think you need to worry about him being underweight but don't let him lose anymore weight as that would be to thin. Here's a link to a sticky thread on body condition http://www.dogforum.com/dog-health/healthy-body-weight-guide-info-16880/

I find that most of the general public have no idea what a dog that's in ideal body condition looks like. They see one that's only slightly overweight and think its in ideal body condition and see one that's in ideal body condition and think it's to thin.

Loki is gorgeous by the way and looks to be in great physical shape! Scruffy is adorable!

·
Registered
7,832 Posts
He actually looks like he's in great shape to me :) Ribs aren't prominent but there's just a hint of 'em. He's super fit!

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
He looks awesome! An extra lb or two wouldn't kill him (try adding a dollop of coconut oil, hi-calorie but sooooo good for them) but he's all muscle and his coat looks great :D

·
Registered
2,899 Posts
He looks great very muscular, shouldn't loose more weight in my opinion wouldn't kill him to add a pound but it isn't necessary and unless he becomes more active I wouldn't add to his food.

·
Registered
271 Posts
He looks like my Dycen does during the summers and early into the fall (before the cold weather sets in making it difficult for me to exercise him), I wouldn't worry to much, he has a lot of definition in his muscles, which to the average person often reads as being underweight.... Unless he begins to act sick, or have rapid weight loss I wouldn't worry......

1 - 11 of 11 Posts