Dog Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We just lost two of our beloved Rat Terriers, one to liver cancer and, two months later, one to multiple organ failure due to old age. Now we have a little adoptee, Bonnie, one year old, very active, 12 pound Rattie, who was on Nexgard when she arrived. When the month was up, I gave her a Nexgard and she has not stopped itching, biting and licking to the point that she has an area on her left wrist that had pea-sized bumps in it and she has licked the hair off the area. She also, I noticed, has very dry, flaky skin. Has anyone else had a dog react in this way after taking Nexgard? We live in an area with lots of fleas and ticks, even though we have a fenced in yard. Does anyone know of an alternative that won't involve me having to chase this little speed demon down to apply something?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I thank you and I do intend to check with the vet. The allergy issue is listed as a side effect with Nexgard. I was more about wondering if anyone else had a dog that reacted to the drug like Bonnie has.

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
Samantha had a reaction, but not like yours. Samantha became very lethargic and had no appetite. Interestingly that only started happening after the third dose or so, so it took a little bit to make the connection.

·
Super Moderator
10,820 Posts
My boy Zody has been on it a year and so far so good. The thing about any of the flea and tick preventatives is that they all carry the risk of side effects, both topical and oral.

Sadly the same is true for any of the preventatives, for any medicine for that matter. Like I wrote, Zody has not reacted to Nexgard but his reaction to his annual vaccines is worsening. Talk to your vet, describe what happened, and ask for a different preventative, or ask if they know something else you can use. I've heard good things about the Seresto collar and the nice thing about that one is that if your boy reacts to the collar you can simply take it off.

Reactions: NannyRobina

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
@Laco Allergies are really interesting that way. In my job I give local anaesthetics, to check for allergies I have to ask if someone has had a local at least twice prior because often a reaction won't occur on first exposure. The reaction can also worsen with progressive exposures, so Samantha may have had a really really mild-nil reaction on second exposure but the third was symptomatic enough to notice.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Those are also listed as side effects. Ratties are bad about allergies, anyway. But I still am drawn to them. I think I have the info I need. I just needed to know that my pooch was not the Lone Ranger with this problem.

·
Super Moderator
10,820 Posts
Those are also listed as side effects. Ratties are bad about allergies, anyway. But I still am drawn to them. I think I have the info I need. I just needed to know that my pooch was not the Lone Ranger with this problem.

Nope you aren't! I only give him his Nexgard in the morning, and on a day I know his vet is open, just in case he has a reaction. He was on Advantage II but it stinks to high heaven, leaves an oil slick down the sides of his his shoulder blades and neck, and he was hiding when he saw I had a vial of it out, I'm not sure if he was hiding because he was having some sort of reaction that I couldn't pin point, or if he simply hated the smell and feel of it.

LOL Zody is a Chi x Dach, and is a mess of allergies, he has an allergy to flea bites, environmental allergies and a sensitivity to chicken, on top of all that I suspect a sensitivity to beef but I think it's just over processed beef like you find in dog food and treats. Oh yeah and the whole shaking, hiding, and refusing food after I got him his annual vaccinations last month, last year he just had lethargy after the vaccination.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My dog, Rowan, died 3 1/2 months after her first and only Nexgard.

Please google the video of her experience "Rowan's Nexgard Story" and share post.

This is an awful drug and it is killing so many dogs. You are putting poison into your dog. There is a great group on Facebook that you can join & provides so much information and support, "Does Nexgard Kill Dogs".

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
I'm very sorry for your loss @koneman.

Did you request a necropsy to find out the cause of death? Without that it's not really possible to tell what caused her death.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts