Dog Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tried to cut her nails today and it was incredibly stressful for her. She started growling and barking and you could tell she totally hated it.

should I just pay a groomer to do it? I'm so scared of hurting her or putting her under extra stress. How much does it cost and how often do you guys do it? Will she be ok with it as she gets older?

·
Registered
489 Posts
I tried to cut her nails today and it was incredibly stressful for her. She started growling and barking and you could tell she totally hated it.

should I just pay a groomer to do it? I'm so scared of hurting her or putting her under extra stress. How much does it cost and how often do you guys do it? Will she be ok with it as she gets older?
Try get your pup used to you touching around the paws and individual toes for awhile. Give a treats while your doing it. If after awhile your pup atill stresses you could try an electric nail file for dogs claws. Groomers are not gentle like people think they are.

·
Super Moderator
1,643 Posts
Are you on Facebook ? There is a very good group called Nail Maintenance for Dogs with lots of tips, including ones on desensitisation.

Start very slow as Beardogjesse suggests, just touch and reward and build up. Or teach her to do it herself with a sandpaper scratch board. Rear feet are harder though. Sandpaper in a drain pipe is good for the ones at the sides.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts