Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a rescue toy fox terrier with a short tail (it's docked but TFTs do carry a natural bobtail gene). Since I've gotten her a few strangers on the street have asked me "what happened to her tail?" accusingly, as if I took her out back with a butcher knife and hacked it off myself. Like, I don't know what else they could be trying to get at.

Has anyone else encountered this? What do they want you to say when they ask these kinds of questions? I'm just sick of strangers judging me and my dog.

·
Registered
562 Posts
I once had someone approach me in PetSmart. They asked me why I felt it was necessary to crop my dog's ears. I tried not to laugh as I told them my dog is a German Shepherd, and they naturally have erect ears.

While I understand that people have good intentions, it does rub me the wrong way. I do not appreciate being instantly judged. I always go with the educational response. Perhaps they don't know better.

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
I find that ridiculous. You have no idea of knowing if someone opted to do that or if they adopted a dog that already had it done. I do comment on people with dogs without it like 'such a beautiful tail!' Or 'it's nice to see natural ears.' But yelling at or judging someone because of it? That's stupid.

Reactions: Tuckersmom

·
Registered
223 Posts
I have two miniature schnauzers with natural ears and docked tails. If I had my choice, they would have natural tails too.

I find some dog people are judgy about docked tails/cropped ears (more about ears than tails though), whereas other dog people are judgy about NOT having cropped ears. I've been told "it's a shame your dogs just don't have the proper schnauzer look, blah blah blah." Even though both of my boys come from some of the best breeding stock in the country and are gorgeous schnauzers, if I do say so myself!

Why can't people just keep their mouth shut unless they have something nice to say?? :)

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
I have a docked Aussie mix, and before her I had a docked purebred Aussie.

My cocker mix is obviously not docked, but though my mother is mixed in opinion regarding docked vs natural, she does comment that is it odd to see an undocked Cocker (her family bred them for years).

No one has ever really said anything to me, but I really wouldn't care if they did. I'm not one to think that docking/cropping is cruel when done properly (though I'm not interested in any cropped breeds anyway), and while it doesn't matter for rescues, I don't think I'd be too interested in an Aussie breeder that didn't dock.

The closest someone has ever come was when my trainer's assistant mentioned she didn't like docking/cropping, but we were working with Chisum and she never met Lexy anyway so it wasn't really an insult.

·
Registered
10,887 Posts
If a dog seems to be happy and well fed, I don't care about anything else and it's not really any of my business what other people do with their dogs. I also have no way of knowing whether the owner had their dog docked/cropped or someone else did it and I don't know anything about the circumstances regarding the dog. I see the possible forbidden subjects as children, pets, politics and religion (in that order too). This is from my years of experience with people and I used to just think that politics and religion could be forbidden subjects. lol

·
Registered
40 Posts
My dog is 'natural' lol he has a crooked tail. They told me when I got him that he was born with it. People ask me all the time if he got ran over. And I just think... 'Yeah... he got his tail ran over... JUST the tail... and it got crooked...' lol people are hilarious.

·
Premium Member
4,599 Posts
Constantly. More so now when Heidi and Levi are out together. She has a BEAUTIFUL bushy fox-like tail, and Levi is my little wiggle bum. People are very quick to point out that I'm mean for docking it. Like excuse me, I didn't take a pair of hedge clippers to him, I got him that way.
I've started to tell people he's a natural bob. I don't like dealing with it.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I don't support docking at all. I would never accuse a complete stranger of anything though since I do not know anything about their dog.
Personally, I find docking to be a cruel and unnecessary procedure and am glad it is banned in my country. I don't see the appeal in docking, especially the ears.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Yes Vitae gets the comments...especially on those brave days when I try to walk Manna and Vitae at the same time.

People get really angry that Manna has this HUGE rudder for a tail where Vitae you can't even see a nub (her 1"is hidden in her fur)

Vitae is a natural bob though, a little over half her siblings have the bob while the others had a full tail.

People just don't get it that it's not always the owners fault/choice nor is it always a bad thing. (I know docked dogs due to medical conditions)

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
I have never had anyone make any comments about Kris who was docked when I got her but is not cropped. I like the natural ears and hers are well set. Some have ears that stick out in all directions when they are not cropped. I have seen pictures of Dobies that had tails and really did not like the look but I think it is what you get used to. She also has her front dewclaws which I really like as it can cause problems if they are removed. I like the back dew claws removed when they are the loose floppy kind but know some breeds require them if they are being shown.

·
Banned
1,222 Posts
Our minpin has no tail, just a small stump with too much skin. According to the breeder, he was born that way. Ears are left natural, prefer them that way. A couple of people have questioned it, but most don't seem to bother.

·
Registered
324 Posts
I am waiting to be judged for my soon-to-be Cockapoo puppy that is coming home in 3 weeks . First, because I am getting him from a breeder and not "rescuing" a dog, and second, because he will have a docked tail like a cocker. I would care less if the breeder left the tails natural but her vet crops them at 3 days old at their first check-up. Anyway, I am already getting asked by random friends who know we are waiting for our puppy to come home "you should just go to the local animal shelter and save a dog's life". I have been researching for 18 months now and the puppy we are getting is exactly what fits in with the needs and characteristics of our family. Totally rubs me the wrong way when people judge. A few of them actually have pure bred dogs they got from breeders so even funnier that they are now judging me ;)

·
Premium Member
9,197 Posts
I sure do. I always found it to be quite comical, like who are you to tell me what I should and shouldn't do with my dog's butt. I usually will educate people on the fact that docking is done when they are days old before the tail is bone (simply cartilage) and there has never been any study that has shown that the dogs feel pain from it. Also, there are studies that show that dogs that are bred to have docked tails can suffer from something Phantom Tail Syndrome, in which they do not feel the end of their tails, leaving them more prone to injury. If they don't seem like the kind of person that wants to listen, I laugh, tell them I like his little black nub and walk away.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Almost never. Most people don't even know Panzer's breed never mind that his ears are cropped and not natural. A few people made some comments when I was still posting his ears, but nothing blatantly rude. Either way it doesn't bother me much. They can think what they want.

·
Registered
437 Posts
That seems so ridiculous! I personally like the look of natural and I wouldn't dock or crop any dog I'd get, but if it isn't my dog then why the heck would I have any say in it?! People are so obnoxious these days. I can't imagine going up to someone and assuming things like that. It's like seeing a dog with three legs and accusing the owner of taking a hack-saw to it, my goodness.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I don't like the idea of taking away a part of an animal that doesn't need to be taken away but if there is a reason or they were rescued or bought like that then who am I to question? Lucy has her full tail and ears so nobody has commented on that but we do get an earful when people see her chain collar. They always are quick to judge the chain collar on a small and harmless dog. If the person is just genuinely curious I jump at the chance to educate about my dog and her breed. If you are unfamiliar with Lucy's situation, long story short, since she has so much neck fat being a Basset Hound, she loves to smell things and she would just slip right out of her regular collar. With the chain she is able to do her thing and stay with me.

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
well, cutting off bodyparts of dogs without it being necessary for the animal's health is forbidden in my country, so when people get it done either did it by themself, which is not very sanitary and can lead to life-long health problems for the animal, or they had to travel to another country to get it done.

I judge people that do that.
I judge people that think it makes an animal look better when you mutilate them.
I understand if it is truely necessary for the dog's health and safety, which would be classically hunting dogs (it's still allowed for certain working dogs to be docked or cropped), but I don't understand it if it is just for looks.
Plus...I think most dogs look really cute with their natural ears and tail.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
My Molly is 50% Miniature Poodle and everyone 'knows' Poodles get their tails cropped..........except in Molly's case her OTHER 50% are mixed breeds that threw in a dominant gene, and out of a litter of 4 she was the only one born with a 'bunny butt' tail!...... She has an adorable wiggle!!!
So in my case, I always get told she has a 'too short' of a tail crop......LOL! (Poodle tails are usually cropped 1/3 or a length that is even with the top of the head so they have a 'squared' appearance)
I then get to break the news that Molly is a mutt and I think she is perfect!!!Hahaha!!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
I foster a lot of dogs, a large majority are pit bulls. I hate cropped ears but many of them come to us like that. What's worse is that it is pretty easy to tell when people don't do it with any sort of regard for the dog. This is irelyn and darby, both cropped, wish they weren't :(

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.