Dog Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm curious.
I feed my dog from the table if I'm eating anything remotely dog appropriate, and of course as a result she now begs pretty often (not 100% of the time but regularly). My mom and the rest of my family, but my mom especially, HATES it. Her biggest pet peeve is begging dogs and she gets so mad that I feed Nika when I'm eating, she says I should at least put it in her bowl, but really shouldn't do it at all. I say hey, my dog my life. I like feeding her from the table, couch, wherever I'm eating, it makes both of us happy. And I really don't mind the begging at all, she doesn't do anything, just stands a few feet away and looks at you, never tries to take food from your hand(unless you offer it) or off the table, never even gets up in your space like some dog's do when they beg. She's a good girl.
I just don't see the problem w it when it's my own dog. I'd never spoil someone else's dog like that (okay I spoiled my former roommate's dog a teeny bit, just on occasion, but she was okay w it, I always check first).

What about you all, are your dogs spoiled like mine? Or do you keep food strictly to the bowl?
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
I share tortilla chips and peanuts with mine. They sit next to me nicely; sometimes they get some, sometimes they don't. Katie was never pushy about it; Tyson would practically climb on my lap. He learned quickly that rude boys get nothing from the table (he's still learning that lesson for counter surfing and helping me make treats).

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
Nope. I do give mine appropriate leftovers but not while we're eating. I put whatever I'm giving them in their bowls after we eat. If I'm snacking while watching TV, I sometimes toss them a chip or pieces of apple, etc. They don't beg but they do look very hopeful. :) They generally go to their beds because that's where they've been rewarded.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Honestly, Betsy isn't a dog that begs or hovers around the table, so occasionally I do, especially if it's a bit of steak (her favourite) I'm not one to stick to all the rules, I think it depends on your dog.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Nope, never. Chess can't have anything but her food anyway since she has IBD. But I cannot stand begging dogs, it drives me insane. On the rare occasion that i eat at the table, they're not allowed in the kitchen while I'm eating. Most often, I eat on the couch, and they just sleep and don't beg.

Both of my roommates give their dogs food all the time, and it annoys me because then their dogs beg from me. I don't put up with that at all, I either have my roommates stop them or if they're not home i put them outside. One roommate tried to feed my dogs scraps when I first moved in, and I axed that real fast.

Very occasionally, if I have dog friendly leftovers, I'll put them in Echos or Reese's bowl. But they never get it from the table. Something about being stared down just makes me so annoyed lol.

·
Super Moderator
10,820 Posts
I eat sitting on the couch and about the only thing I'll share with him there is a few licks of coolwhip and he only gets that once in a blue moon, otherwise he's welcome to lay on my lap, next to me, or behind me, on the couch, so long as he's not whining or being pushy, in the hopes that I'll save him something and give it to him in the kitchen when I'm done eating.

·
Super Moderator
10,820 Posts
Nope, never. Chess can't have anything but her food anyway since she has IBD. But I cannot stand begging dogs, it drives me insane. On the rare occasion that i eat at the table, they're not allowed in the kitchen while I'm eating. Most often, I eat on the couch, and they just sleep and don't beg.

Both of my roommates give their dogs food all the time, and it annoys me because then their dogs beg from me. I don't put up with that at all, I either have my roommates stop them or if they're not home i put them outside. One roommate tried to feed my dogs scraps when I first moved in, and I axed that real fast.

Very occasionally, if I have dog friendly leftovers, I'll put them in Echos or Reese's bowl. But they never get it from the table. Something about being stared down just makes me so annoyed lol.

I've just about got my friend trained to not give Zody food from the table if we have dinner together and Zody is there. Zody will beg from her but not from me because he KNOWS I'll not give him anything.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I should note if I tell my dog "GO" she will stop begging and walk away. She's really not rude w me about it, she listens to me; but she begs from my family members and doesn't usually listen when they tell her off, but if I do she will leave them alone. I suppose I can see why it bothers them more than it bothers me but she is my dog anyway, they only have to deal w her on occasion and 6 weeks out of the year. If they wanted her to pay more attention to them they could take the initiative to work w her, I'd help them.
I can totally see why people wouldn't want their dogs to beg. I grew up w it ingrained that you should never ever feed a dog from the table or tolerate begging. I would never tolerate rude begging, but just standing there looking at me I don't mind personally. And she doesn't do it nearly all the time, she lies quietly next to me frequently while I'm eating if she's not in the mood for food or I'm not eating something obviously tasty.
It depends on the dog, but I don't think a little begging is anything bad if the dog is polite.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
876 Posts
Our dogs definitely get table scraps, but they've been trained that if they sit near us and STARE or whine or poke while we have food they get nothing. If they lay quietly at a bit of a distance, then they SOMETIMES get something.

This is primarily because we don't want the dogs getting any bright ideas about getting up on the table to find food when we're not there. So far so good.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Yes...Pax get table food, bot ONLY when he is in a lie down. He has a mat that is by the table and ONLY time that he gets food is when he is down, never if he is up begging. I worked hard not to have a begging dog. Not that he won't stick his nose up to smell, but he knows he will not get anything.

I take him to a lot of dog friendly outdoor patio restaurants and once food arrives, he is in a lie right next to the table. Positive reinforce the behaviors you want.

·
Registered
572 Posts
yes but I taught an alternate begging behaviour.

I used feeding at the table to teach Manna how to settle and curl up under my chair/the table, she'll need it for when my legs get worse and I start taking her out for balance work.

She's curled up under my computer desk right now, which is hilarious as she make a very tiny 160lbs ball of fluff

·
Registered
531 Posts
I will occasionally feed him from the table/my plate, generally only if he settles well and does not hover (though I could and should work on being more consistent with that).

·
Super Moderator
4,351 Posts
Every day! LOL! I toss them food for laying quietly on their spots. I always try to reinforce good behavior whenever possible. So even when we're eating. We don't have a begging problem or a fat dog problem, either. :)

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Simba was a beggar and I got him to quit be feeding him from the table. Simba comes up and begs I give him something from my plate, slathered in Tabasco. It's been a while since he's dared take anything from the table. Works to control the lighting speed snatch of dropped food while you're cooking. Just inocentely frío a habanero, he know she shouldnt pock it up but if he loores control and gord For it, well I ALMOST feel sorry for him

·
Registered
615 Posts
All the time! But like most guys here they don't beg , like in your face beg they sit patiently , sometimes sleep too and they don't always get treats only sometimes.

·
Registered
82 Posts
When we eat at the table, which is rare, she never begs. When we sit on the sofa, she will sit beside us like a meercat living in hope of something from our plate. If she is quiet, she is sometimes rewarded, if she whines, she is ignored or removed from the lounge.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts