Dog Forum banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
I think you're taking it to a bit of an extreme. There's soooooo many other ways to exercise pets without a walk. That missing a walk or choosing another way really isn't the end of the world, end all. This is just my opinion, you can have a different one. My parents never walked our large dogs, but they had plenty of other activities. Field running, swimming, hunting, kids to play with. They had plenty of other ways their exercise was addressed. So for me jumping to the conclusion that a walk-less home is unfair or a bad home just isn't something I personally agree with, when there's so many other options.

·
Registered
518 Posts
My girls are very small so I think size makes a difference but I also think with large dogs there are ways to offer adequate exercise without walks if needed. What I don't like seeing is everyone jump at someone who says they don't walk their pets. I guess in my opinion I feel the forum should be a welcoming place that shouldn't have the jumping of conclusions when it comes to asking advice. There's many ways to own pets, care for them and train them. I just feel people are more welcoming to advice when it's not being slammed down their throat. Not taking a dog for a walk doesn't make someone a bad pet owner. often times people can have health conditions that make walking a pet a very difficult thing, that doesn't mean they don't deserve the companionship of a pet.
No I don’t agree that the size of the dog makes a difference. It’s the breed and the dogs needs that matter. However it doesn’t exist a breed that doesn’t demand mental and physical exercise. The dog I referred to in my previous post were in fact a chihuahua-mix.

I would like to apologize if anything I’ve said have made anyone feel bad but at the same time I’m not sorry. I don’t feel like I’ve “slammed it down their throat” or been rude. However I’ve stated opinions that might be uncomfortable for people to read. They came here for opinions and just because I have an opinion which is the opposite of what they want to hear doesn’t mean I’m unwelcoming.

I strongly disagree with the last sentence. Dogs shouldn’t be a general entitlement. Only those who got the proper time, knowledge and interest should have the right to own dogs in my opinion.

I think you're taking it to a bit of an extreme. There's soooooo many other ways to exercise pets without a walk. That missing a walk or choosing another way really isn't the end of the world, end all. This is just my opinion, you can have a different one. My parents never walked our large dogs, but they had plenty of other activities. Field running, swimming, hunting, kids to play with. They had plenty of other ways their exercise was addressed. So for me jumping to the conclusion that a walk-less home is unfair or a bad home just isn't something I personally agree with, when there's so many other options.
Well I think you take this a bit out of context. What we’re saying is that walks should be offered as the least amount of exercise. If you regularly are hunting with the dog and it is exercised through swimming and running in fields that’s a different thing. However, now we discussed a dog that gets their exercise and only activity from playtime sessions indoors or in their yard.

·
Registered
122 Posts
No I don’t agree that the size of the dog makes a difference. It’s the breed and the dogs needs that matter. However it doesn’t exist a breed that doesn’t demand mental and physical exercise. The dog I referred to in my previous post were in fact a chihuahua-mix.

I would like to apologize if anything I’ve said have made anyone feel bad but at the same time I’m not sorry. I don’t feel like I’ve “slammed it down their throat” or been rude. However I’ve stated opinions that might be uncomfortable for people to read. They came here for opinions and just because I have an opinion which is the opposite of what they want to hear doesn’t mean I’m unwelcoming.

I strongly disagree with the last sentence. Dogs shouldn’t be a general entitlement. Only those who got the proper time, knowledge and interest should have the right to own dogs in my opinion.

Well I think you take this a bit out of context. What we’re saying is that walks should be offered as the least amount of exercise. If you regularly are hunting with the dog and it is exercised through swimming and running in fields that’s a different thing. However, now we discussed a dog that gets their exercise and only activity from playtime sessions indoors or in their yard.
Just to clarify the comment of "shoving it down their throat" wasn't directed at anyone specific. Just from watching some of the posts on this forum there tends to be some more harshly worded advice. I feel that it would push away some of the new forum members seeking advice vs actually constructively helping them . We do disagree on a lot but I personally hold no ill will or grudges.

·
Registered
1 Posts
We currently have an 80lb, 3yr old Black Lab-mix we got as a rescue at age 1 (we think). She's been a great dog, with no problems other than maybe liking people food a little too much.

Our girl, Pepper, has the run of the house, sleeps sometimes with us, sometimes with our daughters (20 and 14) or sometimes alone--her choice. She has a fenced yard to run around in. Pepper has shown no aggression to other dogs, the rare times she's around them--she likes to rough house, but only after coming u[, sniffing the other dog, then rolling onto her back and showing her belly. She's very submissive even to the smallest of dogs.

We don't have a dog park nearby, nor a doggy daycare. We don't take Pepper for walks, due to some of our health problems. She gets a lot of play at home, inside and out. In fact, she often acts as though we give her too much attention and will go off for some quiet time alone in a corner of the house.

For the past couple months, Pepper will see another dog in the distance and begin to whine/whimper while sitting quietly, watching them. Rabbits, squirrels and cats produce excited barking and lunges. She loves chasing squirrels. She only does this whining when she can't go over to the other dog. When we go to the groomer, or around a friend's dog, this behavior doesn't happen: she's excited to see the other dog and wants to play, play, play.

It honestly seems like she's sad that she can't play with other dogs.

We are fine with just one dog, but would also be fine adding another. The question is, does our giant puppy really need a live-in buddy?

Our boxer loves our new Great Dane puppy. They play constantly- so much so that I had to increase our Boxer's caloric intake because she is now getting so much exercise. We were very lucky because the rescue organization that we got him from let us 'borrow' him for as long as we liked to see if he was a good fit for our family before we made any decisions on whether or not to keep him. We figured out within 48 hours that he added excitement and love to our family so we kept him and everyone is happy. He was also super easy because at 12 weeks he had already been microchipped, neutered, walked on a leash, was crate trained, potty trained etc. Every situation is different but it was a good decision for us. Hope this helps!

21 - 24 of 24 Posts