Dog Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys,
I wanted to ask you guys if those clippers for dog's nails that indicate if you're near the quick actually work or not?
~Thanks!:D

·
Registered
439 Posts
No way! I can't tell you how many times I've had customers come in the salon with a dog whose afraid and reactive when it comes to nail trimming because someone trusted one of those things and lopped half their quick off. The best way to trim nails if you don't have a nail grinder (which I highly recommend, it's safer and gets them shorter and smoother) is to go very slowly on the first nail, if it's a clear nail the quick should be easy to see, but be careful because it usually extends out a bit past where you can see, once you have a basic understanding of where the quick is (on dark nails it's a small circle that's significantly darker than the rest of the nail) you can be a bit more generous with your clips on the other nails, just make sure your first cut is a healthy amount away from the quick and go slowly closer until you see the beginnings of the quick.

Reactions: aylaaktan

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No way! I can't tell you how many times I've had customers come in the salon with a dog whose afraid and reactive when it comes to nail trimming because someone trusted one of those things and lopped half their quick off. The best way to trim nails if you don't have a nail grinder (which I highly recommend, it's safer and gets them shorter and smoother) is to go very slowly on the first nail, if it's a clear nail the quick should be easy to see, but be careful because it usually extends out a bit past where you can see, once you have a basic understanding of where the quick is (on dark nails it's a small circle that's significantly darker than the rest of the nail) you can be a bit more generous with your clips on the other nails, just make sure your first cut is a healthy amount away from the quick and go slowly closer until you see the beginnings of the quick.
Thank you! That's what I thought because I've seen many people give such products low star ratings. I myself have a nail grinder, but was interested as to whether someone had any luck with those clippers.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts