Dog Forum banner

Do this puppy's eyes seem healthy to you?

2K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  Grabby 
#1 · (Edited)
I was thinking about buying this puppy when he was younger, but now that I have "older" pics of him, I am concerned that he may not be healthy. He has a lot of wetness under his eyes. Would you guys please give me your opinions on what this might be?
Mammal Canidae Dog Dog breed Snout

Dog Mammal Vertebrate Dog breed Canidae

Mammal Canidae Dog Carnivore Dog breed

I also noticed that his sister has it, although much more mildly. The other puppies they have, from different parents, do not have it. This is his sister: http://www.puppyfind.com/view_listing/?list_id=ce3nqhfdbp&back=%2Ffor_sale%2F%3Fbreed_id%3D170%26country%3D248%26state%3DCO%26page%3D1%26order_by%3Drand%26back%3D%252Fbreed%252F%253Fbreed_id%253D170%2526back%253D&sid=c5f8c6141e3c6e78c34515a187473549

See less See more
#3 ·
Please don't get a dog from that website. They're probably not reputable breeders and you are very likely to get a dog that has health or temperament issues. It may even be from a puppy mill, which care nothing about the dogs, only making money.

Are you looking into getting a cane corso specifically? If so, google and see if you can find a breed club website. They should have a directory of reputable breeders, as well as some info on common health problems and health testing that you should ask a breeder about before you decide to buy from them.

#4 ·
No health screening of the parents, only one title on any of their dogs, worthless guarantee... please pass. These are not responsible breeders, they are in it for $$ and it is obvious they cut corners. This pup may or may not be sick--wouldn't be surprised if something cropped up though.
Posted via Mobile Device

#5 ·
Thanks for the advice, guys. Tiggerbounce, I don't think it's a puppy mill, it's more of a hobby breeder that breeds several dogs, but still. I'd rather get it from a reputable breeder, but I'm not willing to sign some dumb contract that they have for all the other breeders in my state. They all want to know your name, address, every detail about you, your house, and everyone and everything in it, your yard, your financial situation, whether or not you are planning to move, they make you sign contracts to get the dog spayed/neutered at 6 months, which I think is unhealthy to do so early for males, the contracts also say that you have to always give them record of where you live, and if I were to die, or want to give the dog away to a family member, I'd basically have to get their permission or return the dog to them. I'm not willing to sign a contract like that to get a dog. Then it's like it's not even my dog. It's still theirs and I'm borrowing it basically. Plus they force you to have it microchipped, "in case it ends up in a shelter, they want to know." And personally I find the microchipping thing to be a bit creepy. That's why I'm turned off of shelter dogs. I dislike the microchipping. I've always been a responsible owner, and I've never lost a dog or had it run away. I train my dogs thoroughly.

Thanks guys, I will steer clear of this one until I at least find a healthy puppy from the best breeder I can find that doesn't make me sign an extensive contract that is more complicated than buying a house or a car.

#8 · (Edited)
Not all breeders are like that :) you just have to do your research and spend time talking to them. Remember that you an screen breeders as much as they can screen who buys their pups.

The border collie breeder I'm getting my next from isn't like that at all. She screens and asks questions, but there's no co ownership (unless there's plans on breeding), spay/neuter is done at 16-18 months, the dog can be passed on to family, close friend or spouse. She doesn't chip the dog with her info. These aren't show dogs, but are sport and working bred.

It also helps that I am friends with one of her puppy buyers and co-owners. Sometimes when you're researching, you can make arrangements to meet dogs that the breeder has produced and get an "in". If a trusted puppy owner can vouch for you, you're usually good to go. Plus if you take the time to talk to them, they may be willing to negotiate a lot of things. Like age of neuter, or the dogs place in your will. You're buying a puppy, not a car ;)

Anyway I understand what you're saying, but don't let those preconceived notions spoil it. There are a lot of good breeders out there that aren't super obsessive. Getting a dog that isn't health tested may not be worth it, especially with a breed like a CC that people will breed for profit.

#6 ·
IMO contracts from a breeder help to protect both you and the breeder. I have a contract with my chihuahua that the breeder did not hold up her end of the bargain with. However have bought several other dogs over the years on contracts and never had a problems. Personally I would be concerned if someone was selling me a dog and did not want to know more information about me and how the puppy was going to be raised. I agree with the holding off on the spay/neuter thing if done at all, but really thing the breeders aren't crossing the line in asking you questions about you before selling you a puppy.

#9 ·
One sign of a responsible breeder is that they do all they can to keep their dogs out of shelters--something a bully breeder should be especially concerned about since these are the #1 euth'ed dogs in shelters. A breeder can't keep a dog from being surrendered if they don't have contact information from their buyers--that is not at all unreasonable. I'm wary of any breeders who *don't* want to know anything about their puppy buyers or try to keep tabs on where their pups end up....

#10 ·
There's nothing creepy about microchipping. It's not like the government is tracking you with the dog's chip. lol If your dog is ever lost, it could mean being reunited with it. Just because you've not ever lost a dog doesn't mean it can't happen. Lots of people who have never had a car accident say the same thing. Stuff happens.

Good breeders have contracts. I didn't look at the link you provided and have no advice on that pup's eyes.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.