Dog Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So im trying to be more active and since I´ve moved in with mum her yorkie is part of that. He is a little more than 1 year old but being a yorkshire terrier that means he is fully grown. He is very healthy and is used to moderate exercise. In the very least two short walks a day but also playing fetch inside and off leash running several times a week, minimum once a week.

My goal is two walks a day 40 to 60 mins and try to start jogging. keep in mind that I am overweight and dyspraxic so Im not exactly the most athletic person :rolleyes:

I was just wondering because Im worried that I will overdo him especially as my endurances improves and I increase the intensity. Are there any specific signs of distress that I should be looking for in him?

Anything that I should keep in mind when exercising with a dog, a toy breed?

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
I wish I could help you out more on this but ive never had a small/toy dog and no one in my family does either. But I would say start with what the dog is normally used to then slowly build up the time he can handle. Since he's a small dog I don't think he would do great with jogging though. I think to the more time you spend with the dog and take it on regular walks/play youll start to notice and be able to pick up on his signs of tiring out. You might also be able to find some articles on line that give you more info on how much walking a yorkie will be able to handle.

The upside is, if he does get pooped out he wont be hard to carry back home, anyways good luck to you and hopefully someone else can help you out.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Like Sabina I have no experience with toy dogs but my experience with large dogs and puppies is that yes the will start to look very uncomfortable before they run themselves to death. Not that I've ever run a dog to death but I have seen the signs of exhaustion and they're pretty clear.

Do you ride horses? If so you know how a horse starts to get when it gets tired, dogs are similar.

·
Premium Member
10,780 Posts
Depends on the dog, I had a hyper terrier that would happily run himself into the ground if I would have let him. He was 24 pounds and could easily walk a mile to the dog park, run around the park for 3 hours, then walk the mile back home. What I learned to do in warm weather is stop and rest for awhile, but the brat would never actually sit or lay down, he'd stand there and wait.

The dog I have now will stop walking, or start walking really slow, if he's tired. He's a 11 lb chi x dach and is on the lazy side. He's active, but nothing like my terrier mix was.

Best advice is start slow with her start out with taking her on a 30 to 40 min walk and build up how long y'all walk together. Keep in mind that a fast walk for you is a jog for her, so if you take her jogging she'll be flat out running. If you walk at a moderate pace she'll likely be trotting and that's a normal pace for a dog. Dog Gaits: Trot vs. Pace - See Spot Run

·
Registered
455 Posts
In my experience a dog will refuse to do anything but walk slowly, then straight up lay down if they get exhausted. I would be careful w a toy breed, that's a lot more exertion for them than it is for you, as someone mentioned. Best of luck though, have fun and take it slow.
Posted via Mobile Device

1 - 5 of 5 Posts