Dog Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We adopted a mixed guy in October. He was underweight and skin flakey, but bet checked healthy. We put him on Merrick foods that first week and he's been on it since.

When he first came home I assumed the smell was from being on bad food and he would improve with time.

He hasn't. He smells bad even a few hours after his bath. It's a odd smell I can't place, not doggie.

Skin looks fine.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
298 Posts
Has your vet done a thorough ceck on all the possibilities? If not, that needs to be done as soon as possible.

Some dogs, especially a few particular breeds of dogs tend to smell more. Your dog may have inherited that smell.
Good luck

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
I'd have check at the vet and try different food make sure the eyes and ears are clean...but yes some dogs and some dog breeds smell different than others.
the same as with humans they have an individual smell.
To me Retrievers for example often seem to have pretty oily fur and smell a bit like sebum which isn't bad, when they're well-kept but can stink when not.

·
Registered
917 Posts
I find my raw fed dogs smell a lot less than kibble fed dogs, they only get bathed once or twice a year. My basset hound though smells like corn chips. Not bad, but weird.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Yes some do just smell more than others. Chess and Reese have a normal dog smell, Chess a bit stronger, but then Echo doesn't really smell at all. Even when she hasn't had a bath in months, she has zero smell.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Food ingredients can dramatically affect a dogs smell. It is not just "cheap" food but rather specific ingredients that can change a dog's smell.

While trying to figure out Pax's food sensitivities, I went though a few different high quality foods and each changed his smell significantly.

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
What about his ears? Many dogs smell bad because of ear infections or dirty ears. Any other symptoms that might be allergies? What exactly is the smell like? Sometimes dogs can have a "corn chip" smell and it's a yeast issue. Some dogs' paws and even armpits can smell like that, and that's a yeast infection. One of my Doxies used to have that problem. Frequent baths in special shampoo and a high quality diet helped. If your dog is the one in the avatar that appears to be a "Puggle", and depending on how much he has of both, Beagles can have an oily/dander-y coat and have a "hound dog" smell. But you said it's not doggy, so maybe it could be something else. I was going to suggest bad breath/teeth as well but I'm pretty sure that's an easy smell to locate.

·
Registered
230 Posts
I have a lab and a shiloh, both have their own distinct smell. Its not bad by any means and they both get fed the same food. However my mother had a small 20lb mix breed and it does smell. Same as you, after a bath a couppe hours later and she smell, almost like a oily smell. Weve changed food multiple times with no change so we juat figured ita the dog

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Kuma def has a smell, but its usually after a couple months. Also, if his bedding cover and blankets haven't been washed, ive noticed that even after a bath he still smells so when kuma gets a bath, so do his bed covers and blankets.

I agree. If it isn't a doggy smell, it maybe something more. I'd have the vet check everything including teeth
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
My mother`s toy poodle - indoor, insanely pampered, well-fed, happy dog - who btw also gets to live a "dog life" - big yard he runs in every day, i.e. is not "handbag" dog - has the WORST smell coming from his mouth. He is only 2 and his teeth look finne but god that smell...

We have no idea what`s going on with that. The vet said some dogs just smell.. :confused:

Ella doesn`t smell at all.

·
Banned
6,350 Posts
Jessie is raw fed and her breath can smell after few days but just started on balancing out the raw myself so will take time for the breath thing. Otherwise she needs bathing fortnightly she gets a specific odor about her. Nearly had yeast last year when her belly was inflamed

·
Banned
6,350 Posts
charlie barely smells but his breath ugh. i do know merrick was bought out by purina recently could that be the issue maybe? maybe try fromm or acana to see if its the food?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts