Dog Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dog has been having seizures since August. He always pees and he drools really bad. This morning he had a seizure before I got up, and he comes to the bedroom and gets me when that happens. I found where he had peed but there was not a trace of saliva on the floor or on his face. I thought this was strange - anybody else experienced this? These episodes are freaking me out. He is almost 12, and went 9 weeks seizure free (no meds). Now he has had 2 within 3 weeks. I am giving him a late-night snack every night in case his sugar is dropping - I guess that theory just went down the drain.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Remmy, my Shih Tzu x Maltese, started having seizures when he was 4 years old. He had them off and on for the next two years but the Vet never put him on medication as they were only a couple a month. She could find no cause for them. They started getting worse, had a cluster of three in a row when I was driving and I took him into the Vet. They gave him rectal atavan which brought him out of it and sent me home with some. I only used it once and he only had a couple more seizures after that, then they just stopped. He is 8 years old now and has not had a seizure since July of 2014. Why they started and stopped is still a mystery.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That is SO strange! Seizures are so unpredictable aren't they? We do not want to medicate our dog. And they are so sporatic that I don't know that the vet would even put him on any meds. It is driving me nuts!

·
Registered
5,929 Posts
That is SO strange! Seizures are so unpredictable aren't they? We do not want to medicate our dog. And they are so sporatic that I don't know that the vet would even put him on any meds. It is driving me nuts!
They don't change very much in my experience. He may have just had an accident and come to get you to take him out. What effected my cat was food coloring and dye. Make sure none of the food or treats have dye or coloring in it.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No it was definitely a seizure. When he comes in and barks in my face he has just woke up. Plus we have a dog door so they go in and out like they want to. When he has an episode and I'm not up yet, he always comes and gets me. He is so anxious and wobbly I definitely know. Just the lack of slobber this time surprised me. I can always find where it happened by those 2 spots.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Seizure disorders normally are inconsistent and unpredictable, though some lucky pets either have infrequent episodes that do not require treatment, or treatment luckily works well and suppresses the seizure activity. But though most pets are fairly easily controlled, I would say a good 30% of treated seizure pets have completely unpredictable seizure activity, in terms of frequency, severity and response to treatment. The cause of abnormal electrical impulses in the brain are not well understood and the brain is an extremely complex organ... basically, seizures occur when the brain lets them, and they can be whenever. Older pets often have more physical causes for seizures (eg tumors) and these rarely stay one size... tumors generally tend to grow and this results in changing seizure activity. So for seizure activity to change in an older pet is actually expected and certainly is the norm, not the exception. Some can be controlled, but the majority eventually progress beyond the ability to be well controlled or at least controlled to the owners satisfaction. But when that line is crossed is also impossible to predict. As for the nature of the seizure, that too often is unpredictable.. .sometimes the pet will have a grand mal... other times it may be less severe. And sometimes it can be very difficult to tell if there is a seizure actually happening or the pet is just acting weird for some reason. I have seen so many different types of seizures over the years that I learned there is almost no limit to how they can present, even in the same patient.

By the way seizures caused by low blood sugar are pretty much limited to over-treated diabetics, skinny or anorexic puppies, pets with insulinomas, or pets suffering severe, overwhelming infections (sepsis) often secondary to another bad diseases (pyometra, cancer, severe injuries, hyperthermia etc.). Most seizures are either caused by toxins (and these are usually constant seizures, not intermittent ones) or 'abnormalities in the brain (which includes a LOT of possibilities, from viral, bacterial or fungal infections, brain tumors or granulomas, liver shunts or failure, or, most commonly, epilepsy (diagnosis made usually when all other causes are ruled out)).

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
His are always grand mal. I'm trying not to believe it might be a tumor, but that makes sense that as it grows the seizures would be different. Didn't even think of that. Thank you for responding.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
I know it was very frustrating with Remmy not finding a cause. He had all sorts of test, bile test for his liver, blood tests and nothing showed up. They were not Grand Mal. They usually happened in the evening and usually after we went to bed. He slept with me so I would wake up as I would hear him throwing up. I would put him on the floor and he would go stiff and his legs would move some but not violently like I have seen with another dog we had that had epilepsy. Within a few minutes, he would get up and be back to normal. The time he had the cluster seizures, he had one, started to come out of it and had another, then a third and as I was driving and close to the Vet I rushed him in. They gave him the rectal atavan and he came out of it. After that he only had a couple more before they stopped. The Vet said that was really unusual as they did not usually stop. As he is with me almost every minute, I know I would have seen it if he had one.

I have not changed his food or anything else that I can think of but I am glad he does not have them anymore. He still competes in Agility and races around.

·
Registered
5,884 Posts
Yes, seizures can change. It doesn't seem to happen often. But it can.

Have you had a blood panel done on him? That's one of the first diagnostics done for seizure dogs, especially an older patient. Organ failure can sometimes result in seizures. If you catch it early, sometimes adjustments can be made to the diet and supplements added to slow it down and provide more years.

I would also strongly suggest asking for some rectal diazapam. If your dog starts to cluster, or have multiple seizures in a short period of time, you have to have a way of stopping it or you risk the dog being unable to stop seizing, or becoming catatonic. It's really sucky. If it's becoming more frequent, medication might be your best bet.

If it is a brain tumor, then there's unfortunately not much that can be done. But meds can sometimes help reduce the frequency.

·
Registered
9 Posts
My Gracie (beagle/basset) had two seizures today. One at 2:30a, the other at 4p. She is 9 years old, and started having seizures in August 2014. She had three more seizures that year, then none til November 2015. Prior to today her last seizures were on December 22, 2015, and she had two that day as well. We've been to the vet twice and had extensive bloodwork done, and they haven't found a cause.

After the second seizure today, I started thinking about what could possibly have happened differently that might be triggering the seizures. It occurred to me that I saw both Gracie and my other dog Ripley eating bird food that the birds dropped from the feeders in my yard. I had just asked my husband to put the food out on Sunday, as it had been months since he had last put the food out, and it's pretty old and I'd wanted to have it all gone. I now suspect that the bird food is moldy, and that something in it might be triggering the seizures. I don't recall the last time he filled the feeders, but late in December would be a possibility, as he was home on vacation that week before Christmas.

I feel so horrible right now, that I might have made Gracie sick. Her seizures don't last long, but they are awful to watch. She loses control of her bladder, so I end up doing laundry in the middle of the night, which is when she most often has her seizures. My stomach is in knots right now, worrying that she might have another soon. I gave her a half-tablet of phenobarbital, which my vet told me to do if she has a second seizure within a few days of a seizure. I'm hoping that if the food did make her sick, that it will be out of her system soon and the phenobarbital will keep another seizure from occurring before then.

I threw out the bird feeders and all of the leftover bird food. I even vacuumed the dropped seeds from the lawn. I feel like the worst person in the world. :(

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
pidgeon92 Since our dog has a lot of german shepherd in him, we were giving him aspirin everyday in his food - canine aspirin! We thought that might be causing the seizures so we stopped. He went 9 weeks seizure free, then he kept licking his lips, so we thought he might have a toothache. Aspirin! Even though we hesitated we gave him one. The very next day, here he went in to a full blown seizure. Then another one 2 weeks later. I am waiting for the next one - he pees and he slobbers really bad. W really think it's the aspirin, but is that wishful thinking? I'm even giving him Rescue Remedy and feeding him a late night snack. Trying everything we can think of to stop this monster. Jack has his at all times of the day, but mostly early morning out of a deep sleep. He'll come in the bedroom and bark in my face, and I know he has just had one and I wasn't with him. I can't bear it when that happens. I much prefer to hold an ice pack on his back and talk to him so he hears my voice. The ice seems to bring him back to normal sooner. The times he has them and I'm not in there, he takes longer to recuperate. His last around 3 minutes.

·
Registered
9 Posts
My Gracie had three seizures in the months following March, the last about a month ago.

Today she has had three in one day, two in the morning, and one a few minutes ago near midnight. We've had some odd weather, and the vet had mentioned that barometric pressure changes might be a culprit. I wish I knew what was triggering them.

She's whining now, I'm not sure if she's upset over the seizure she had a little bit ago, or if she's just not feeling right. It's not going to be easy to sleep tonight. My husband is off on a trip, not coming home until tomorrow. It's just me and my three hounds, and I'm worried it's going to happen again.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
How is your dog doing? I thought I replied earlier but I must not have. I'm always scared too, waiting for the next one - listening closely for any odd noises if Jack isn't in the room with us. It never gets easier either! I'm pretty calm during the episode, and once he comes out of it I try to stay calm. It's later when I always fall apart.

·
Registered
9 Posts
She is fine now, hasn't had another seizure since the last one that evening. That third seizure was actually the mildest one she's ever had, there was barely any foaming or urinating.

jaragr , I know how you feel. I deal with the seizures fine while they are occurring, and then I clean up the mess without being too upset. It's afterwards that I have anxiety, and that tends to last a few days.

Anecdotally, I feel like some of her seizures are caused by corn and other grains. I especially like popcorn, and used to share it with all three of my hounds when I made a batch. About a year or so ago I was reading that gluten might cause seizures (we blame it for a lot nowadays), so I stopped giving any of the hounds bits of bread. There was a day she had a seizure that I recalled eating popcorn the night before, and sharing it with the dogs, so I stopped giving any of them popcorn after that. When I wrote about the incident in March I blamed the bird food, but we were tossing dry corn out for the squirrels as well, and I wonder if that's what did it then. She had a single seizure in April that was a couple of days after my mother-in-law gave her some bread, and then one in July after I had accidentally dropped a few kernels of popcorn on the floor.

I suppose it's always going to be a guessing game. On the plus side, she's otherwise very healthy. Here's a picture of my goofy girl.

P1000653 by pidgeon92, on Flickr

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Aww she is so pretty! I LOVE hounds! We blamed aspirin for the seizures. Gave Jack an aspirin every day and the seizures were coming every 3 weeks or less. So we completely stopped, and he went 9 weeks then erratically. Today makes almost 4 weeks so I'm definitely alert. And I hate to leave him. His are rarely mild. Glad to hear your baby is doing good!

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
We were giving him aspirin for his hips. He's 12, and part german shepherd. He gets glucosamine too but aspirin relieves pain. Even the canine aspirin, meant for dogs, seemed to trigger episodes. It's so strange how erratic they are though. You just never know.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Jack is the dog on the right in my profile picture - he was young in this picture though.

·
Registered
5,929 Posts
We were giving him aspirin for his hips. He's 12, and part german shepherd. He gets glucosamine too but aspirin relieves pain. Even the canine aspirin, meant for dogs, seemed to trigger episodes. It's so strange how erratic they are though. You just never know.
If you give a glucosamine / chondriotin formula one lubricates the other helps with pain. I like this it works to keep my hound moving and pain free.
Joint Power Green Lipped Mussel for Dogs and Cats - Taste the LOVE

·
Registered
9 Posts
Gracie had two seizures this morning, one just before 8am, the other just after 10am. I had a feeling there would be a second one, and stayed home this morning. I was walking on the treadmill when I saw her walk into the hallway. I went to have a look, and she was standing there kind of frozen. I called her name, and she didn't move. Then she fell over and started convulsing. As usual she began urinating, and I dragged her away from the ever-growing puddle until the convulsing started to subside.

I'm not sure what to do. I am wavering over taking her to the vet or not. It's been exactly three weeks since the last cluster of seizures. I know there is nothing they can do besides put her on medication, and I'm more afraid of the medication than I am of the seizures. Having to give them at the exact same times every day may not always be possible, and I don't want to end up making things worse. :(

1 - 20 of 25 Posts