Dog Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Until last Autumn we had a Vizsla bitch. She was fantastic and, as my husband's first dog, it was a great introduction to the canine world for him and our two young boys (6 and 7). However, being used to more strong willed dogs (I used to owned two Airdale terriers) I found Vizsla a bit too soft, easy and far too friendly towards everybody. We're now agonising over what type of breed we should now have however. He's keen to have another Vizla while my preference is for a Ridgeback bitch that will have a similar temperament but give a bit of added 'security'. I feel that I've research the breed very well and prepared to spend a lot of time training her.

My husband's main concern (besides the size) is that a Ridgeback, off the lead, will needlessly worry other walkers and children. Whilst some people are afraid of dogs, with our Vizla's medium build and 'loving' personality it normally won people over. Is my husband right to be concerned about the possible fears of others when a (well trained) Ridgeback is off the lead ? Help please sway one of us ! Many thanks!

Elena

·
Registered
21 Posts
I think you can't win everyone over...their are going to be people afraid of a 6lb dog ON lead....
I agree with Criosphynx. I have had Ridgebacks and they are great but they do require A LOT Of training. If you train them well, they will be great additions to a family.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Well, canophobes are afraid of all dogs, with the lead on or off. If people are gonna be afraid because it's a Ridgeback, and not a Vizsla, then you shouldn't be wasting your time with them in the first place, canine racism isn't very nice, and it's quite offending.
If there are no leash laws where you live, and you can control the dog when he's off leash, I say get whatever dog you want, as you have every right to do so. If people don't like it, well, there's always the sidewalk on the other side of the street ;)

·
Registered
146 Posts
I love Ridgebacks, they're so beautiful :) There's one in my mini aussie's agility class. I wouldn't worry if other people are afraid or not... If the breed matches your life, go for it! :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts