Dog Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few months ago I purchased many small bags of Purina Beyond dog food from Petsmart. I opened the first bag later that night and when my boyfriend stuck his hand in, there was a sticky film. I'm not sure why, but we thought this was egg (don't ask us why we thought this, the flavor was tuna & egg and we foolishly thought they actually cracked an egg or something in the bag) and didn't think much of it. All of a sudden, I saw a black bug come flying out and it spooked me so much I never opened any of the other bags.

About a month later, I started noticing flying insects (like small moths) all around my house but didn't know where they were coming from. My boyfriend ended up tracing it back to the bags of dog food, and when we opened them, each and every last one of them was infested with maggots / cobwebs / flying insects. We googled it and came across an article on your website and were shocked to see that it was also a Purina brand purchased from Petsmart. We realized it wasn't just us so we took the bags into Petsmart to exchange them. We were not asking for a refund of any kind; just simply to exchange the bags for food that did not have bugs in them.

The cashier saw the bags and was not surprised. He said he has had customers bring the same exact brand in with the same complaint before. We spoke with the store manager and told her our concerns that they were selling a brand that had bugs. After a lot of back and forth and denial on her end, she finally agreed to exchange our 34 bags. She only had 8 on the shelf so gave those to us, then said she would order the additional 26. She assured us that the 8 she gave us would not have any bugs. She took down our contact info and we left. We went home and opened a bag. Of course, that one was full of bugs as well. We called corporate and the store to inform them that the bag of food they just gave us off of one of their shelves was infested but could never reach her, so we ended up going to Petco to purchase Purina Pro Plan from Petco for our dogs and that food was fine.

Two months later, I realized I never heard from the store manager on the other 25 bags and decided to follow up. Every time I called her Petsmart store, her employees made up excuses for why she could not come to the phone and referred me to corporate. I contacted corporate on an almost daily basis who did not get back to me for two weeks until after I said I would bring the issue to social media. The district manager could not care less that the food her store sold contained bugs. She tried to blame it on me for having the bags of food for months and accused me of storing it incorrectly. I brought up the fact that the first bag I ever opened had bugs and that the bag the store manager sent me home with had bugs, but she did not care at all. She offered to pay me $.49 a bag and when I refused, she accused me of abandoning the bags. I told her she was lying and that she could look at security cameras and see that I was telling the truth. She kept repeating the same offer and kept making up more and more lies as I spoke with her. When I asked her if I could record her because she was putting words in my mouth, she immediately refused and said she wished to no longer speak to me.

No resolution there so now I am waiting to hear back from someone above the district manager. All that to say that Petsmart is selling bags of food with bugs in there, and do not care when customers complain. There are written articles (Family’s Bug Infestation Was Caused by Dog Food – The Dogington Post) about this exact same issue and still no action. All I am asking is for them to cease selling that brand of food and exchange my infested bags for non-infested food. Their apathy to the matter is concerning. Please know of their indifference and unwillingness to take action. They all make excuses for one another instead of righting a blatant wrong. A customer care rep once had the gall to tell me that even if my dogs ate that food, it would be fine because those maggots/insects would not affect their digestive system.

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
But where did the bugs come from? If it's happened at more than one store I would believe it to be a Purina problem.

Personally, I would switch foods and feed something totally different (but I don't feed Purina anyway).

·
Premium Member
4,613 Posts
That is terrible. But for real, did you buy 34 bags of dog food at one time?

·
Premium Member
9,240 Posts
Coming from someone who use to work at Petsmart it happens all the time to many different foods. Usually it's bugs from the wheat in the food. Happens when the food sits on the self for too long. Honestly, that's going to come from low quality food that sits on a shelf. Is there a reason you buy 34 bags at a time? That's asking for a bug problem.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Many kibbles develop bugs on storage, Purina has more corn but almost any kind can have that happen. Storing that many bags unless you store them in the freezer is asking for bugs, it is not a blatant wrong if the bugs developed over time as you stored them.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Even without the bugs it is a crappy food which should not be fed. I don't understand why people don't buy decent food for their dogs. If you can afford 34 bags of crap food you can afford good food.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
439 Posts
It's a Purina problem. For liability reasons I won't say what store I work at, bUT its a common issue with Purina food and my particular store loses a ton of money on Purina because we have to dump the bags constantly for the bug issue
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Years ago, I bought a bag of Purina cat food and when I opened it, it was white with what looked like mold, and cob web looking things. I took it back to the store, exchanged it for another which had the same junk in it. At that point I quit feeding Purina, and shortly after switched to raw.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Honestly, if I were you, I would talk to your vet about homemade options. I had made a thread last week about this, but I think it might be a good alternative for you.

https://www.dogids.com/blog/dog-food-recipes/ here is a list that I found. Homemade options will make sure that the food isn't sitting and creating bugs. Plus, you might find that your dog enjoys fresh options moreso than kibble.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts