Dog Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone.

Sort of a daft but quick question: Can I use "down" and "home" as different commands, when training with my dog?

Or, more precisely: Can they differentiate these words sure enough?

I use "down" for... well, lying down.
And "home" for coming between my legs.
And it usually works really well.

Now, Revan sometimes is a bit of an pighead, when it comes to lying down on command.
He doesn't like it.
He does it most of the time just fine. But sometimes he would ignore it (seldom enough; I'm okay with it, if not thrilled).
And at other times, he would come between my legs and sit there - essentially doing "home".

Now, I'm not sure if he's just too hyper at these moments and wants to do all at once (happens often enough), or if he might actually confuse the commands? :ponder:

·
Registered
306 Posts
You could either draw out the "OU" sound in down (doooouuuuuwn) to make the commands more distinguishable, or maybe combine different hand signals with each command?

·
Registered
559 Posts
Hey everyone.

Sort of a daft but quick question: Can I use "down" and "home" as different commands, when training with my dog?

Or, more precisely: Can they differentiate these words sure enough?

I use "down" for... well, lying down.
And "home" for coming between my legs.
And it usually works really well.

Now, Revan sometimes is a bit of an pighead, when it comes to lying down on command.
He doesn't like it.
He does it most of the time just fine. But sometimes he would ignore it (seldom enough; I'm okay with it, if not thrilled).
And at other times, he would come between my legs and sit there - essentially doing "home".

Now, I'm not sure if he's just too hyper at these moments and wants to do all at once (happens often enough), or if he might actually confuse the commands? :ponder:
are you teaching your dog English commands?

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
They do seem enough different that the dog should not have a problem. He probably just likes the "home" command more. Maybe you have or are rewarding him more for that than the down.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Dogs are far more capable of reading your body language than listening to words. I would come up with two different hand signals for each command and use them when you say each word. Once your dog learns the hand signals, there shouldn't be any confusion about what you're requesting.

Whether or not your dog wants to do it is another story...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts