Dog Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 15 year old Samoyed with arthritis can still go for slow walks. He falls about 4 times a day, especially when he jumps or rotates too fast. I help him up but he can push himself up. He eats good, sleeps about 22 hours a day. Someone suggested a dog wheelchair to improve the dog's mobility. I think a dog wheelchair can help healthy and young dogs with mobility issue. But I don't think a dog wheelchair is a good idea for my dog. First of all, dog wheelchair is like a crutch for people. As long as leg bones are good, weight bearing stimulates and maintains muscle mass. Continuing to use crutch will weaken the leg. That's why I think my dog should not use dog wheelchair. For the remainder of his life, I want him to maintain the leg muscles he got. I would like to know if anyone has any different views?

·
Registered
542 Posts
I think of dog wheel chairs as being something for dogs with spinal issues or severely deformed hind limbs. It doesn't sound like that's your dog's problem; she's just old with sore joints. Putting more pressure on the front legs might not really make her more comfortable. I like the idea of taking her out with a wagon or a stroller she can ride in when she gets too tired to walk. That way she can still enjoy her walks, but you won't be pushing her to uncomfortable lengths to get her home.

·
Registered
255 Posts
If you are able to take her for swims, that can really help ease arthritis and keep his muscles moving. Make sure it's somewhere safe though, and somewhere you can get in with him. I'd even try a life jacket to help him out too, if you do pursue it.

Movement is the best solution to arthritis, so I would suspect that using a wheelchair would have the opposite effect and would only put more pressure on the front joints.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts