Dog Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've been watching the shelters in my area for a dog that would be a good fit for me and my apartment. The apartment manager(s) are fine with any dog, but would prefer if they were already or mostly trained (pretty much no barking), due to mostly students living in my complex. One of the shelters just added a Catahoula Leopard mix dog and their description of him makes him seem like he'd be a good fit.

"Hello! My name is Gump. I am approximately a 7 1/2 year old neutered male Catahoula Leopard mix and I weigh just about 56 pounds. I was recently surrendered to the shelter because my owners could no longer have me as they have developed allergy issues. I am sweet fun loving guy who gets along well with most other dogs, cats, and even kids too! I am very well mannered and I even know most basic commands. If you are searching for a big sweet handsome guy to complete your family..look no further I'm sure I'd be the perfect pet for you!"

I'm not very familiar with this breed and have no experience with them, so I was hoping for opinions (and maybe advice) from anyone who is? If he's still in the shelter Friday (maybe Thursday) I plan to go down and check him out.

I'm also a pretty outdoorsy person. I love hiking, camping, and other outdoor activities. I read a bit about this breed and it seems like they're a good fit for these types of activities. Please correct me if I'm wrong on that!

·
Registered
2,906 Posts
At 7 1/2 years old, it's possible he'd be a good fit. I have an Aussie/Catahoula mix and she'd be awesome in that environment...when she was younger she was ready to go when I wanted and mellow otherwise. She's 13 now, so not quite as active but still pretty great :)

Would the shelter let you do like a 1 week trial to see if it's a good fit? Sometimes shelters are especially willing to do that with older dogs because they want to find them forever homes and that isn't always easy.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
At 7 1/2 years old, it's possible he'd be a good fit. I have an Aussie/Catahoula mix and she'd be awesome in that environment...when she was younger she was ready to go when I wanted and mellow otherwise. She's 13 now, so not quite as active but still pretty great :)

Would the shelter let you do like a 1 week trial to see if it's a good fit? Sometimes shelters are especially willing to do that with older dogs because they want to find them forever homes and that isn't always easy.
I checked the page again to show my friend and he got adopted (to which I'm not surprised, he seemed like a great dog!). I hadn't thought to ask that, but I definitely will in the future! Thank you!

·
Registered
3,885 Posts
Only at 7.5 years old. LOL. Those dogs are a handful.

I think a rescue dog would be great in your situation. I got a mid-sized dog who has a lot of "go" when I need her to (I'm a dog walker and she does 1-2 hours a day with me on the job) but at home she is a couch potato. Even at 1. She's on the couch snoring quite loudly right now, in fact. :D

1 - 4 of 4 Posts