Dog Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Before I say anything, I would just like to say, I would NEVER EVER EVER EVER EVER BUY FROM ANY PETSTORE!!!

Well, anyway, I went into petland because I got bored and was in the mood to play with a puppy. I know it sounds stupid, but thats just what I do :p
So, I walk in there and like always they are in the wire bottom cages. I saw a boxer puppy that was about three months old, and looked in great condition. I read that most of the puppies come from puppy mills, but this dog looked like he didnt. Anyway, I was curious so the lady let me play with him in one of their ''boxed'' areas. He was very sweet and I looked at his vet papers and everything. I wasnt going to purchase him, I was just thinking. Well, since he looked like he was in good condition and had the shot papers and everything, does that mean he came from a puppy mill?
Responsible breeders dont sell to pet stores, so I was just wondering...

·
Registered
12,135 Posts
Before I say anything, I would just like to say, I would NEVER EVER EVER EVER EVER BUY FROM ANY PETSTORE!!!

Well, anyway, I went into petland because I got bored and was in the mood to play with a puppy. I know it sounds stupid, but thats just what I do :p
So, I walk in there and like always they are in the wire bottom cages. I saw a boxer puppy that was about three months old, and looked in great condition. I read that most of the puppies come from puppy mills, but this dog looked like he didnt. Anyway, I was curious so the lady let me play with him in one of their ''boxed'' areas. He was very sweet and I looked at his vet papers and everything. I wasnt going to purchase him, I was just thinking. Well, since he looked like he was in good condition and had the shot papers and everything, does that mean he came from a puppy mill?
Responsible breeders dont sell to pet stores, so I was just wondering...
Petland is being sued up the ying yang for selling dogs who are said to not be from puppy mills but once all the medical issues began and the "breeders" were looked into, they all wound up being puppy mills. My parents bought a puppy from petland here at one of the malls for a very small price because he was older and nobody wanted him because he was large...a yorkie who now weighs ~20 pounds and has a heart murmur. Needless to say this store has been shut down for years.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I would never buy one, but I should have asked for the breeder and looked it up...I get curious about things like this :/

·
Registered
12,135 Posts
I would never buy one, but I should have asked for the breeder and looked it up...I get curious about things like this :/
The breeders do not look as if they are puppy mills to just anybody... there was an animal planet episode in Philadelphia where they were investigating breeding kennels and they turned out being puppy mills and were shut down. You could go look up the breeder info and it looks accurate, its professionals who go INSIDE the kennel when given a warrant due to a lawsuit who see the truth.

In this Philadelphia episode there was a lab breeder who was breeding labs with genetic eye issues, 3 of the females had enlarged eyes or missing eyes... It was the sickest thing I have ever seen in my entire life and I suggest everybody try and find this episode to see what puppy mills can look like from the outside and then what they look on the inside. I was sickened. Sorry for my rant! lol

·
Registered
7,579 Posts
In Alberta it's illegal for a breeder to give their dogs (with papers) to a petstore. Fallout-they are full of mill dogs.

Truly I don't think any breeder would give their pups to a petstore. Breeders (not byb) spend time and money showing their dogs and checking their health and screening potential homes. That'd be 'out the window' if they gave them to stores.

It does gross you out how many pups are in the stores though hey?

·
Registered
22,635 Posts
In Alberta it's illegal for a breeder to give their dogs (with papers) to a petstore. Fallout-they are full of mill dogs.

Truly I don't think any breeder would give their pups to a petstore. Breeders (not byb) spend time and money showing their dogs and checking their health and screening potential homes. That'd be 'out the window' if they gave them to stores.

It does gross you out how many pups are in the stores though hey?
yeah it does. i never liked it in the first place (made me cry when i was little...still makes me cry actually) but the more i read and learn about dog behavior the more upset i get about it.
we (myself and a few others) have been trying to get the puppystore shut down in my town, just passed a law banning the retail sale of cats and dogs in the city. unfortunately, this doesn't effect the store that already exists. he is getting in a lot of trouble though...was raided and all the records for all the pups confiscated by investigators. rumor has it that there are stacks of papers that show health issues that weren't disclosed and falsified records of breeders......

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
7,579 Posts
GREAT Job!! That's a wonderful thing!!!

I think it'd make a huge impact if every country (state/province etc) had bans on breeding period-either you pay for a breeding liscence and renew it yearly (and maybe proove you are legit and not a byb) or your dog/cat etc. HAS to be spay/neutered. I think ten years of that and we'd have no shelters.

·
Registered
22,635 Posts
GREAT Job!! That's a wonderful thing!!!

I think it'd make a huge impact if every country (state/province etc) had bans on breeding period-either you pay for a breeding liscence and renew it yearly (and maybe proove you are legit and not a byb) or your dog/cat etc. HAS to be spay/neutered. I think ten years of that and we'd have no shelters.
i agree...there are restrictions already in a lot of places. the problem with a lot of these ideas is funding. it is also diffiicult to decide who regulates it. here animal control doesn't have law enforcement capabilities. it also makes me nervous bc of all the breed descrimination bans going on.:( it is always so complicated when you want to make a change in the world. ah well....we'll get there!:D

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
7,579 Posts
There are restrictions on pitbulls here-you are allowed them but you have to pay an extra lisence fee and you are not allowed to walk them without a muzzle.

This has of course led to lisencing pitbulls as other breeds...

·
Registered
22,635 Posts
on bestfriends.com there is a calculator that will tell you how much it would cost to have BS legislation in your area....
BS legislation absolute rubbish imo, just shows how ignorant people are about dogs. atleast they are allowing you to have the dogs where you are instead of euthanizing them.....

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I know I saw that episode. The females were all chocolate labs and they were pasing back and forth because they have been in small cages all their life...It litteraly made me cry.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I saw that puppy mill episode, so, so sad :(
Even though I don't live in that country I still like to watch stuff like that. Thankfully, we can't sell puppies or kittens in pet shops in my country.

·
Registered
275 Posts
In the town that I am in, stores are banned from selling dogs and cats a long time ago. But my area has so many puppy mills and backyard breeders that its crazy. Our pound had a high kill rate. more than most. Now they ship the ones who don't get adopted here to Colorado where they have a high adoption rate. Only very sick or ill temperd dogs are put down.
Pits were banned here a few years back but in the town that I work in, there was a thing in the paper today that pits will not be banned as there were so many people that fought it. It was a close call though.

·
Registered
22,635 Posts
In the town that I am in, stores are banned from selling dogs and cats a long time ago. But my area has so many puppy mills and backyard breeders that its crazy. Our pound had a high kill rate. more than most. Now they ship the ones who don't get adopted here to Colorado where they have a high adoption rate. Only very sick or ill temperd dogs are put down.
Pits were banned here a few years back but in the town that I work in, there was a thing in the paper today that pits will not be banned as there were so many people that fought it. It was a close call though.
that is soo cool!

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts