Dog Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Tests generally run $60+.

However, they're extremely inaccurate. I have personally known a purebred Golden Retriever whose just-for-fun results came back as Chihuahua mix (with all other small breeds). The lab confirmed the test was accurate. You will generally not get the same results if you get the same dog tested twice (even by the same people). Most of the testing websites and "companies" are actually run by the same company. Mars should just stick with making candy.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

well im just curious what my dog is. My sisters friend got her puppy dna tested when she took it to the vet so was thinking about seeing about doing the same with my dog. She is 6 months old i know the mom is a yellow lab but dont know who the dad is.

·
Registered
290 Posts
It's fine to be curious. It was just a warning because DNA tests are a waste of money.

She almost looks like simply a long-haired Labrador (which do exist, but aren't really bred for because it's not breed standard; they almost look a little like Golden Retrievers). Going by her size compared to that bucket and trough, she's a pretty decent sized 6 month old.

Depending on who's looking, you'll get different opinions on what might be in there. There are a lot of dogs with long hair, so opinions are really just that. What are her origins? If her mother was from your area, you might be looking at any dog living around there (owned or stray).

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

thanks. Her mom is my brothers yellow lab he lives a few blocks away from me actually. He was told his dog is a full blood lab. So went shopping with my sister today this is how it ended lol.

·
Registered
951 Posts
all DNA tests get sent to the same processing center/database analysis program. This means the vet test is no better or worse than one you buy and do yourself except that the vet is more likely to adhere to the instructions that are intended to prevent cross-contamination.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts