Dog Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Buddy is a mixed American Eskimo dog. I figured it out when he started growing up, that his behavior, body type is different than typical American Eskimo. I am very okay with that and I love my dog.

Being natural curious what is he mixed with I purchased Wisdom Panel and to be honest results was: 62.5% American Eskimo and 37.5% Mixed Breeds

Very happy to see what particular breed/s he is mixed with, Wisdom Panel gave me an answer:

Hm, so we can narrow it down to a couple of breeds:

Akita, Canadian Eskimo Dog, Japanese Shiba Inu, Siberian Husky, Alaskan Klee Kai, Chinese Shar-Pei, Korean Jindo, Tibetan Mastiff, Alaskan Malamute, Chow Chow, Samoyed.

Only 11 dogs breed to guess :ponder:

And finally, that brings me to my question. Does anyone know if Embark would be possibly more specific? I don't want to purchase another test just to spend money. Thank you for any info.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Yes it can be super frustrating! I used Wisdom Panel for my dog too (Eskimo mix as well), I wanted to know where she got her black spots from... but I didn't get an answer either (to be fair, there's only 12.5% of 'mixed breed' for her, the rest is known). I did get a couple answers to my questions though (her bi-color eyes come from husky and that she apparently is 25% lab).

I'm too cheap to try Embark but I'm curious about the answers!

·
Registered
400 Posts
My Wisdom Panel Results

I have two dogs and on one dog I used Embark, and on the other, Wisdom Panel 4.0. I thought both were great. They have different perks, like wisdom panel was more clear on likely traits/features/coloring that my dog would have (without seeing a photo). Embark connects you to canine relatives. And if they add to or update DNA testing they will again test/update your dog's DNA profile.

As for whether Embark will be able to tell you what mixed breeds your dog has, that's a gamble. I believe it depends on how many breeds are in the mix and how far back (how diluted) that DNA is. Grandparents and beyond are a weaker pool for the DNA results.

I'd research the differences between Embark and Wisdom Panel, and even call Embark to get their opinion. If you do go ahead with it be ready to get similar results that don't identify the breed.

·
Registered
400 Posts
My Wisdom Panel Results

Sophie is the one on the left.

20181201_175755.jpg

Sophie.jpg

Sophie hound group.jpg

Looks like the photo is all blurry, but here's the percentages.

25% Border Collie
12.5% Australian Shepherd
12.5% Labrador Retriever
12.5% Chow Chow
37.5% Breed Group(s) (Hound Group)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
DogFaming said:
As for whether Embark will be able to tell you what mixed breeds your dog has, that's a gamble. I believe it depends on how many breeds are in the mix and how far back (how diluted) that DNA is. Grandparents and beyond are a weaker pool for the DNA results.

That part spoke to me the best. Thanks for info :)

DogFaming said:
Sophie is the one on the left.

Sophie is cute!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts