Dog Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, about a month ago I did one of those Wisdom Panel DNA cheek swab tests. I was very disappointed in the results (12.5%-24.99% each of Sheltie, Old English Sheepdog & Chow :rolleyes:, nothing detected 25% or higher). Anyway, I sent a complaint email and had pretty much given up on hearing back when I got a response today:

We have received your complaint regarding your test results and I’m sorry our test did not meet your expectations. I’d like to escalate your concerns to our science team for review. As your case manager, I will be in touch with you regarding the new findings.

We require a photo of Buffy’s. The reason that our policy is to obtain a photo is to try to understand whether there has been a sample mix-up in the laboratory or if a computer algorithm generated breed signature mismatch is to blame. We can not offer a free re-test or refund before these options are ruled out and we have a photo on file. Also, if the scientists deem that there were not any mix-ups, we can often find traits in the pictures that match certain breeds in the reports and scientifically explain those results to you.

Please let me know if you would like to proceed with this process. I really do believe it will be beneficial to you. This process will take 15 working days and is free of charge.

If you’d like to speak with me, you may contact me directly at (number removed).

Thank you and I hope to hear back from you soon.
While I realize that asking for a photo could be an easy way out for them if they do re-test, and it probably is just a form letter that they sent me, I'm impressed that they followed up and am looking forward to hearing from them again.

So I figured this would be a good time to ask people here for some breed guesses too. I just got a ton of mosquito bites trying to get a few decent photos of Buffy though I wasn't able to get a good side shot before my camera battery died.

She's just over 5 months old, about 20 lbs. and about 14" at the shoulders. Her mother looked very similar to her in coloring, but was only about 15 lbs. (the rescue estimated the mom's age as about a year old). I don't know what her father was. Buffy was the runt.

Oh and Buffy normally holds her ears as they are in the pics, though she's been holding them straight up more and more. She also often has one up/one down too. I also understand she may be a mix of too many breeds to narrow it down by looks. Thanks :) and sorry for the long post.

The best sideways pic I could get. She usually carries her tail up though (like her mom in the very last pic).

a profile pic

Her mom:

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
No, she was a rescue. She was brought to New Jersey by the rescue from a high-kill shelter in Virginia. She was one of three puppies that were up for adoption along with the mom.

Here is one more pic that was about 2 weeks ago. It has a better straight-on view of her face.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Heres my guess : mom looks like Staffordshire Terrier and Boston Terrier. I think she might have mated with an Australian Cattle dog
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
12,135 Posts
ooooh ok makes sense LOL I agree some kind of bully breed or boston terrier due to the face. Cute dog! Looks just like his mother

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Very cute and I can't really tell you what she looks like as I'm not farmilar with breeds of dogs, but I think she is part cutie and part pie thus making her a cutie pie. ^_^

And I love runts of the litter. My boy was the runt of his litter and he has passed them in height which is funny.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the comments everyone. The mom was listed as a Boston/Pug mix, though they admitted that they really didn't know. I think she looks like she has some Boston and/or Pug too, and Buffy really reminds me of a BT when she holds her ears straight up. Sometimes I wonder if I'm just seeing things since I was starting to do more research about getting a Boston Terrier from a breeder when I found Buffy on petfinder. So it's nice to hear that other people think she may have that in her too.

In person, I most often hear that she looks like a Pit mix, usually from Pit owners. I also hear Pug mix and Boxer mix a lot, and I think Boston mix once. It doesn't really matter to me what she is, but I enjoy reading people's guesses. Thanks :)

·
Registered
713 Posts
Her mom def looks like a Boston/Staffy/Frenchie mix. The fact that shes' already 5 #'s larger then her mom and only 5 months old indicates that her dad was probably relatively larger than her mom. Do you happen to know what she looked like at 8 weeks? Typically that time period is when they look like miniature versions of their adult selves. Usually when they're between 9 weeks to 1-2 years old their growth development is all over the place. And what might have been a goofy ugly pup at 7 months ends up turning into a poised lovely dog at 2 years. The reverse can also happen which is why there controversy over having puppies get their Ch's at 1 year or younger.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
She is about 8 weeks old here, by their estimate:

These are the other two pups in the litter, both females as well (same age). The one on the left was significantly bigger than the other two. (I know they can have different fathers but I think the one on the right looks really similiar to Buffy at least.)

I'm not sure if they had a definite date of the puppies' birth or if they were guessing.

And her growth seems to have slowed down in the last 2-3 weeks.

·
Registered
18,782 Posts
well, I don't see pit, I would guess boxer, but its not quite right IMO, and the size is off.

i think you just have a genuine, pedigree heinz 57 :p

its ok, I have a mystery mutt too.:)

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks again everyone for your guesses. I found out today that I won't be getting anything more definitive as far as her breed mix goes - the person from Wisdom Panel said that after looking more closely at Buffy's breed report she should've offered me a refund rather than a possible re-test.

Basically, she said the same as ...
i think you just have a genuine, pedigree heinz 57 :p
So, I guess I will continue to have fun hearing people's guesses about her breed mix, never knowing what her background really is. And a refund is nice too. =)

·
Registered
370 Posts
It is great they are giving you a refund! That says a lot about their company.

As far as I know, there are several different companies that do these tests, and all of them use different genetic markers (ie different parts of their DNA). Some markers are more useful for determining different breed histories than others, it all depends on the breed and marker in question. If you really want to know, you might try a different company because they will undoubtedly use different markers and might be able to give you a better idea. Of couse, it also might lead to another dead end (but if they give refunds for no answers, then it really doesn't cost much!).

NPR had a good story about this a few weeks ago:
Hounded By Doubt, Dogged Owners Probe A Mystery : NPR

with the follow-up report here:
The Case Of The Mysterious Puppy, Solved! (Sort Of) : NPR

I have been considering this for my new pup as well! :)

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the info. I might consider getting her re-tested in the future by a different company, but had picked Wisdom Panel because I believe it covers the most breeds.

And I know there is a blood test you can get through the vet too, but since I go to a local low-cost humane society for her vet care, I'd feel that asking for something so frivolous would almost be an insult. (I'm weird =P)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts