Dog Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok - the favorite chew around here is a himalayan chew. It gets expensive w 2 dogs so I've researched and found its really a Nepali cheese called durkha chhurpi which is really a smoked and dried fresh cheese called paneer.
Today I made paneer, drained the water out, added salt and liquid smoke to simulate the smoked flavor in himalayan chews. I sliced into chews ANd I'm dehydration. Anyone tried this before? Milk was 2.50 a gallon and makes probably 10 small chews. That's $30 worth of himalayan chews ...the lemons were from my yard

·
Registered
2,481 Posts
I second the recipe Guinness loves the chews but I do not want to fork out how much they ask for.

Also still in shock over here at your milk prices...I haven't seen milk under 3 bucks in quite some time

·
Registered
7,832 Posts
Ooo, I have a milk dispenser out in the pasture. Wanna share the recipe? My guys haven't had the chews but I'm sure they'd like 'em. :D

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Kat it was. $2.50 but if you bought $10 cereal (4 boxes) it was free LOL

Let me see how this goes...and I will definitely share. May take a while to report whether or not its a success.

You boil 1 gallon whole milk on med high. Once boiling add juice of 3 Lemons or limes (and here's where I put liquid smoke). Strain in a flour sack lined colander the hang 3o min then add a little salt and get a nicd ball.wrap tight in cloth and put a weight on it to press more water out. After 3 hrs pressing you slice. If you were in Nepal you try them in a smoky oven but I'm using a dehydrator.

Will let you know if it turns out. YouTube has people making paneer - tastes like feta

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
Ooh, I need to bookmark this thread. Calypso has never tried a Himalayan chew/yak cheese, but her big Christmas treat is a bully stick wrapped in a chew. :) So if she likes it, this could be useful.

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
Paneer is soooooo easy to make. My MIL is East Indian and I made an awesome dish that had paneer in it.

Here's how to make paneer:

2L of homo milk (1/2 gallon)
bring to a boil slowly over medium heat
add juice of 1/2 fresh lemon
the curds are the cheese....dump the mixture into a strainer lined in 2 layers of cheese cloth
press into a large patty wrapped
put in fridge for an hour until it sets up with a weight of some sort on top between 2 plates (I used my bag of milk!)
and the rest for Himalayan chews....I'll leave that to marbear to explain

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Okay, I am really jazzed about this, as Yogi likes himalayan chews! All the chewies are so expensive. I'm lazy--is there any cheese that I can buy somewhere already made, to dehydrate? I guess I would probably need a dehydrator?

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
Okay, I am really jazzed about this, as Yogi likes himalayan chews! All the chewies are so expensive. I'm lazy--is there any cheese that I can buy somewhere already made, to dehydrate? I guess I would probably need a dehydrator?
You can find paneer at some grocery stores or East Indian markets. Otherwise, you can also buy fresh cottage cheese. It's sold in blocks in the refrigerated or the deli section of the grocery store.

·
Registered
439 Posts
is this that incredibly hard cheese they're selling?

so basically it's this special cheese that's dehydrated so it becomes hard? how hard is it compared to the ones sold? How long does this typically last?

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok the dogs love them. I didn't boil my milk hard enough before curdling so my paneer was crumblier and the chew was more similar time wise to a Zuke z bone.

I need to remake the cheese but I need to was my cloth. This time ill boil longer to get better texture and a longer lasting chew.

If you like homemade dog treats it was definitely money saving for what I got but I have not perfected the texture...YET!

Blue topaz his is your paneer texture?

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
It's quite firm, almost like a feta. The edges crumble a bit but the inside is fine.

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I almost wonder if I but Parmesan wedges if it would work. Our store regularly clearances them out and it is cheap enough to try ya know!

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
There is a lot of salt in the parmesan cheese, so just be careful. That's what is good about the paneer, especially if you make it yourself, you can control the salt content.

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ok update...I had a gallon of recently expired 1 percent milk and it seems to beat the whole milk for texture. I also waited til the milk was boiling harder which was a positive.

We are dehydrating now and I will update again ...excited!

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Definitely
Better to get a good boil on the milk ANd I think less fat helps too. The chews lasted longer but nothing as long as the real deal. Still ...I will make these with sale milk like I make sweet potato jerky when they are cheap. I got over 10 healthy chews for under $3...a good deal IMO

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I want to experiment with full fat and skim. Wonder what would create harder denser cheese? I should also try pressing longer but my heavy stuff is cast iron and I don't want to rust it

1 - 20 of 45 Posts