Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to really "up" Aspen's obedience in a distracted environment. At home, at the barn and honestly, in training classes, she is perfect. Sometimes on walks and hikes or trips to the pet stores, she can get overly excited. She doesn't do anything awful but she does bounce around and gives the appearance that she isn't under control... and maybe she isn't at that moment haha. Anyway, this weekend we're working on that. I have a few things in mind to set up but I'm curious what others have done as well.
@Shandula - I think you mentioned that sometimes your guys get excited in certain situations. What do you do? :)

·
Premium Member
4,599 Posts
I'm looking to really "up" Aspen's obedience in a distracted environment. At home, at the barn and honestly, in training classes, she is perfect. Sometimes on walks and hikes or trips to the pet stores, she can get overly excited. She doesn't do anything awful but she does bounce around and gives the appearance that she isn't under control... and maybe she isn't at that moment haha. Anyway, this weekend we're working on that. I have a few things in mind to set up but I'm curious what others have done as well.

@Shandula - I think you mentioned that sometimes your guys get excited in certain situations. What do you do? :)
Mainly just cry and swear? :p In all seriousness, as soon as they start getting excited, I just back up until they start to be cool. Then we try again. Oops, too excited? Baaaaack up. This is why it sometimes takes us 40 minutes to walk a 5 minute distance. I think Aspen will be better than my guys, she's so cute.

Reactions: jclark343

·
Premium Member
7,969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mainly just cry and swear? :p In all seriousness, as soon as they start getting excited, I just back up until they start to be cool. Then we try again. Oops, too excited? Baaaaack up. This is why it sometimes takes us 40 minutes to walk a 5 minute distance. I think Aspen will be better than my guys, she's so cute.
Thanks, I think she's pretty cute too :) Like I said, she doesn't do anything too horrible but it's still embarrassing and I'd like her to be calm-ish no matter where we are and what we come across.

My plan is to enlist friends (preferably ones that she doesn't know) and have them walk past us, play ball, run past... bring their kids... dogs... etc. Obviously, start small and work our way up. The end goal is that we can walk past someone walking their dog without her getting too excited... that we can stop and chat with someone and their dog while she sits politely.

·
Premium Member
4,599 Posts
Thanks, I think she's pretty cute too :) Like I said, she doesn't do anything too horrible but it's still embarrassing and I'd like her to be calm-ish no matter where we are and what we come across.

My plan is to enlist friends (preferably ones that she doesn't know) and have them walk past us, play ball, run past... bring their kids... dogs... etc. Obviously, start small and work our way up. The end goal is that we can walk past someone walking their dog without her getting too excited... that we can stop and chat with someone and their dog while she sits politely.
That sounds like a good plan! It would be so nice to have a relaxing walk in a pet store, or at a dog festival. Keep us updated on your progress!!

Reactions: Aspen726
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.