Dog Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I have a 3 1/2 month old mongrel pup blackjack(I kept 2 them from the same litter). I took them both to the vet for rabies shots. Blackjack got a fever a day later. I asked the vet and he told me this was normal in some cases.

the next few days he remained lethargic though he still would eat and drink water. He has light discharge in his eyes (clear not green or thick) His nose is a little dry. I checked his foot pads- a bit Calloused (barely noticable) but since he's an outdoor dog (our yard is mostly stone) I thought that would be it.

I took him to the vet again, and he said it was distemper.he gave him vitamin shots and sent us on our way. I immediately isolated him from his litter mate. . I kept on observing him the past few days. he has improved. While His appetite isn't where it was when he was healthy, he's not ignoring his food. all in all, the time frame is one week.

So I guess the question is, is this just how it is before it gets much worse? or did the vet misdiagnose and it's something else. It's just I really can't stand putting dogs in cages for extended periods. Now he just spends most of the night whining and wanting to get out.

·
Registered
5,929 Posts
Distemper comes in two stages. The first is mild and the second pretty bad. My pup got thick green gunk coming from her nose and eyes. She had blister like things between her back legs and high fevers. The pups should have had their shots for distemper at 9 weeks , did you get them?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was about to. I had the Vet give them rabies shots first- you're supposed to space out shots a few weeks right? It was right after getting Rabies shots that he had fever and anorexia. Some discharge in the eyes but not really thick green goo.

I checked on him a while ago and he's pretty active in his cage. No weakness or malaise. I gave his some food which he pretty much vacuumed into his mouth. Last fever was 4 days ago. No signs of involuntary muscle twitching. He has kept his food down too. no signs of vomit or anything. He hasn't lost weight.

·
Registered
5,929 Posts
I was about to. I had the Vet give them rabies shots first- you're supposed to space out shots a few weeks right? It was right after getting Rabies shots that he had fever and anorexia. Some discharge in the eyes but not really thick green goo.

I checked on him a while ago and he's pretty active in his cage. No weakness or malaise. I gave his some food which he pretty much vacuumed into his mouth. Last fever was 4 days ago. No signs of involuntary muscle twitching. He has kept his food down too. no signs of vomit or anything. He hasn't lost weight.
Why does the vet think it is distemper?

·
Super Moderator
10,820 Posts
Did the vet test for distemper, or just state that he had it?

·
Registered
368 Posts
I have to agree... not easy to diagnose distemper by symptoms... too many other respiratory diseases look like it. However, not always easy to test for, either, particularly if your pet has recently had a distemper vaccine (can give you a false positive test). Classic distemper dogs have had few or no vaccines (vaccines tend to be very effective protection against this nasty virus), fever (lack of a fever is very rare in distemper infections), heavy mucopurulent nasal discharge, coughing, lethargy and reluctance to eat well. 'Hard pads' is another classic symptom, but I have seen plenty of positive dogs that did not have this sign. If your dog fits ALL those symptoms, there is a good chance it does indeed have distemper... but still not 100%. Later in the disease, dogs may develop neurologic symptoms (seizures, tremors) and this is VERY bad as few survive that stage. But keeping distemper dogs on antibiotics and trying hard to get them to eat sometimes succeeds in getting them through.

Your dog may simply have an upper respiratory infection, and from the sounds of your pet's hunger and activity, sounds very unlikely to be distemper.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts