Dog Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi again,
Can anyone tell me if it is okay to dissolve a Pepcid AC tablet in water and then syringe-feed it to my dog?

I cannot reliably get her to swallow pills and it is so upsetting (for both of us) when we have to have a wrestling match over each pill. If I can dissolve it in water she will take it much more easily, even if it tastes bad.

Will this impact the effectiveness of the drug?

Thanks for any insight. I really need some guidance here.

Lisa

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
I don't know how big a Pepcid AC tablet is.

On some occasions I give my dog HaHa, a Gas-x (simethicone) as my vet said it could reduce gas that could cause bloat issues. I only give it too him, if I think he had a little too much to eat. Sometimes if I'm not watching like a hawk, he'll finish his portion of dry kibble then he'll sneak into the other room and help Jaya eat her food - usually I'll catch him before he devours it all..but he gets a pill, just in case.
He also gets a pill if I see any signs of his 'swallowing' after eating. But by keeping his meals small and feeding often through out the day, I've managed to keep his bloat problems under control.

I use a pill shooter or pill gun as some people call them as the Gas-x pill is small enough to be held in the clamp at the end. It looks like of like a syringe, but there is a plunger that pushes the pill out of the clamp and towards the back of the throat where the pet instinctively swallows it.

They only cost a few dollars, unless your vet's making a killing on them. I think I paid like $3.00 for mine from my vet's office and I've had it for several years now.

Sorry I can't tell you anything about dissolving that pill. I don't know if there's a time release thing in them or not... You should check with your vet though before doing anything like that.

Stormy

·
Registered
368 Posts
you can crush a famotidine tablet and add it to water or food… will work just the same (not easy to 'dissolve' in water, though). Nearly tasteless tablet so can often hide in pill pockets.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts