Dog Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, about 4-5 months ago I adopted a border collie mix from a shelter. He had a broken leg and parvo. He is now about a year old and he is completely healed from all of his sicknesses. I really would like him to become a frisbee dog but I don't know how/ where to start.

He has trouble catching frisbees but I just really need some help.

Please help and give me some tips!

·
Premium Member
4,613 Posts
Does he LIKE chasing/catching frisbees?

·
Banned
1,404 Posts
Play tug with the frisbee and when you have possession wave it around and get the dog amped up barking and jumping for it. Then toss the frisbee to the dog from a foot away with a verbal cue and see if the dog might catch it. Dog catches it, mark instantly with your positive verbal marker and reward with a game of tug. Dog doesn't catch it, ehhhh and no tug. All the dog has to do is catch it once accompanied with your positive marker and reward and just build from there. Place your dog 3 feet away repeat, 5 feet away etc. then just let your dog move freely while you tease the dog with the frisbee and then toss it easy throws, the dog catches, the dog gets a game of tug. Before long the dog will be running down the frisbee plucking it out of the air without a verbal cue being required.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
For the one of ours who is a disc dog, I started by holding the frisbee up for him for a few days where he had to jump for it. He'd catch it out of my hand and I let him have it. I gradually started tossing it farther and farther away from me, until he was running a short distance. Then I started tossing it farther and farther away, until it was a full throw.

·
Premium Member
8,034 Posts
This is something that I have been thinking of trying with Aspen. She LOVES to fetch balls. She can (and does) catch balls in the air so a frisbee should be a fairly easy transition... I hope! Haha.
@naturalfeddogs what frisbee do you use? Any tips? Should I wrap her legs or anything? I have a huge field in front of my house that we can practice in.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
This is something that I have been thinking of trying with Aspen. She LOVES to fetch balls. She can (and does) catch balls in the air so a frisbee should be a fairly easy transition... I hope! Haha.
@naturalfeddogs what frisbee do you use? Any tips? Should I wrap her legs or anything? I have a huge field in front of my house that we can practice in.
I have a Jaws disk from Skyhoundz. com. They have tons to choose from, so you could just pick which one seems to fit your needs. I don't wrap legs, but since he is fully trained and is incredibly passionate about it, he would easily over do himself. So if yours turns out to be that way too ever, just be careful and play in short sessions to avoid over heating or injury.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts