Dog Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got my pup from a reputable breeder that was listed on the Cavalier King Charles Club of America website. The breeder had me choose my pup at six weeks, like all other breeders. I couldn't tell if the pup had any problems. He seemed fine. I did notice a protruding lower lip and mentioned it to the breeder but she didn't say there was anything wrong. When I took him home he wouldn't eat his kibble and I was told this is normal behavior for a new pup, so I didn't question anything. Also, my Vet didn't tell me there was anything wrong with his teeth. One day I noticed that he was struggling to chew and this was probably the reason why he wouldn't eat his kibble. Others that I spoke to about this said the reason he wasn't eating was probably because he didn't like the food. The issue was on my mind and this evening I lifted his lips upward to look at his teeth and sure enough, they were crooked with the lower jaw protruding far in front of his upper teeth! You could imagine how I felt when I saw this. I didn't suspect anything like that could be wrong since i got this puppy from a reputable breeder. You'd think someone reputable would have told me this before I purchased the puppy, but she didn't. The first thing that came to mind was to contact the breeder and tell her. I paid $2,800 and feel that I overpaid. This pup obviously does not conform to standard and can't be shown. The breeder knew that I was hoping to show my pup. Do you think she knew about his teeth all along and withheld this information on purpose? I appreciate your feedback.
-Disappointed Mom-

·
Registered
266 Posts
I got my pup from a reputable breeder that was listed on the Cavalier King Charles Club of America website. The breeder had me choose my pup at six weeks, like all other breeders. I couldn't tell if the pup had any problems. He seemed fine. I did notice a protruding lower lip and mentioned it to the breeder but she didn't say there was anything wrong. When I took him home he wouldn't eat his kibble and I was told this is normal behavior for a new pup, so I didn't question anything. Also, my Vet didn't tell me there was anything wrong with his teeth. One day I noticed that he was struggling to chew and this was probably the reason why he wouldn't eat his kibble. Others that I spoke to about this said the reason he wasn't eating was probably because he didn't like the food. The issue was on my mind and this evening I lifted his lips upward to look at his teeth and sure enough, they were crooked with the lower jaw protruding far in front of his upper teeth! You could imagine how I felt when I saw this. I didn't suspect anything like that could be wrong since i got this puppy from a reputable breeder. You'd think someone reputable would have told me this before I purchased the puppy, but she didn't. The first thing that came to mind was to contact the breeder and tell her. I paid $2,800 and feel that I overpaid. This pup obviously does not conform to standard and can't be shown. The breeder knew that I was hoping to show my pup. Do you think she knew about his teeth all along and withheld this information on purpose? I appreciate your feedback.
-Disappointed Mom-
Yep there is no way the breeder wouldnt have known. Im assuming the puppies had a vet check? with the breeder before giving to homes

·
Registered
431 Posts
how old is the pup now? surely you have some kind of written agreement about problems inherited defects etc etc and you can refer to this and demand the money back or return the pup to the reader.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts