Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Everyone.

I have been having MAJOR issues with our dogs digging out the last couple of months.We have tried using blocks and burying wire in the areas they dig, but ultimately they just move to another area and do the same thing again. I had considered invisible fencing, but our back yard is only 1/4 acre and I don't like the idea of fencing that punishes the dog for getting too close, so I started looking through the internet for alternate ideas. None of the ones I found quite seemed like the right choice for our yard, but then I got an idea. What if I laid some chicken wire on the ground right against the fence and secured it with anchor staples? I feel like this could provide a non-diggable (I know that's not a word) barrier between the fence and the yard of 12 to 18 inches. Now of course I think I have a great idea, but before I invest in it I would like some constructive criticism. Please tell me if you think it is a bad/unreasonable idea and why?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
How much time and $ are you willing to invest in this? .25 acres would mean about 400 linear feet assuming a square yard and all 4 sides fenced.

What an old neighbor of mine did when they had this problem was pour concrete curb around the length of the fence.

·
Registered
893 Posts
I had a similar problem with one of the dogs literally plowing through the bottom of the fence. What worked wonders was putting railroad ties (or very heavy lengths of 8x8) along the outside edge of he entire yard. I then stapled them to the fence with extra heavy duty staples. He can no longer push his way through underneath.

You can also use patio stones along the inside edge. I've heard it works well, but then it also depends on the dog and how they respond to it.

Here's a picture of my yard. You can see the wood along the outside of the fence. It doesn't look the prettiest, but i'm planning on planting some flowers or bushes next year to cover it up a bit.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the feedback! We have tried the pavers...Rascal digs them up. What a turd!!! Lol. I like the idea of rr ties, but I am afraid putting that up against the fence may cause rot. @Esand about half of our backyard is a wooded and we live on a fairly steep decline, so concrete isn't very realistic. Keep the ideas coming everyone!

·
Registered
893 Posts
Your fence is wood? I have also heard about people digging a small trench along the fence line and putting fencing (chain link, heavy duty chicken wire, or cattle fencing) down below ground level. Just thinking about it, maybe you can dig the pavers diagonally instead of chicken wire. There's no way he could dig through those and hopefully he won't want to dig as deep as them either.

·
Registered
25 Posts
@3Dogfam, not too sure about using the chicken wire like you are thinking. I'm thinking that while it might actually work to stop them, are they going to injure their paws, (nails) while trying to dig out. And are they going to try to chew on it to chew their way out.
Unfortunately, all I have is negative, I don't have any positive advice for you. And maybe I'm completely off base here. It may not hurt them at all. Just giving you food for thought.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
@3Dogfam, not too sure about using the chicken wire like you are thinking. I'm thinking that while it might actually work to stop them, are they going to injure their paws, (nails) while trying to dig out. And are they going to try to chew on it to chew their way out.
Unfortunately, all I have is negative, I don't have any positive advice for you. And maybe I'm completely off base here. It may not hurt them at all. Just giving you food for thought.
I don't think you are entirely of base. I know the two little ones aren't likely to do this and Mister could care less about getting out, Honestly he tells on the other three when they decide to go for a trip, but I do wonder about Rascal. I don't think he would be that tenacious, but I am honestly not sure.
@timber I like your idea about the pavers. I will bounce that off of my husband and see what he thinks. At the rate we are going these fools are going to have all kinds of odd stuff blocking their way.

They got out again tonight!!! :eek::(

·
Registered
155 Posts
I've heard this somewhere before, I can't remember where, but of concreting around the fence like digging a trench and concreting so the dogs are unable to dig. It's the same idea as the chicken wire but they aren't able to chew concrete and it's a lot easier for the dogs to notice than chicken wire.

·
Registered
297 Posts
With Libby we had the same issue. When I did was just bough some stone blocks, and put it front of the fence. It worked for us!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.