Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My sister's (soon to be mine!) husky has such a fluffy thick coat. He is just a big ball of fluff. But so many huskies I see have a very short coat. Is there different types of huskies?

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
Correct me if im wrong but I think there are (long coated) wolly Siberian husky's.

Did she get him from a breeder? If not he could have some malamute in him which would account for the fluffier coat.

Hopefully someone with more experience with the breed can help you out.

He's beautiful though :)

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. I just looked up wooly and there is a type like that so perhaps he is.

She did get him from a "breeder"....but the breeder was a classic BYB. The first pup she got from them died of parvo and this guy was the worst case of tick infestation the vet had ever seen. So yeah I don't really trust them.

Personally I prefer the fluffy coat so its all good :) he is adorable. Im sure he will be happier in nice wintery NY then he is living in Texas right now lmao

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
He's gona love all the snow lol, will this be his first time seeing snow?
Whats his name?

Im a sucker for the longer coated husky's too.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
His name is Koda. It has snowed a few times in Texas where they live but it is like barely anything on the ground & melts before u blink type of snow lol.

We have real snow here in New York! I think he will love it.

He is pretty miserable in texas right now, even with AC he just hates the heat.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Hm. Our long haired floofy dog (Border Collie/Chow mix) seemed to handle Florida alright, even in the summer. She definitely got hot, but never seemed to get too much hotter than any other dog and definitely wasn't miserable. Man did she ever love the chilly days though, she'd tear around like a crazy little puppy every frosty morning even in old age.
I've never met a long coated husky but they sound lovely, enjoy your new dog.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
951 Posts
How a dog does in hot or cold weather isn't so much related to the length of the coat, but the quality and thickness of the woolly undercoat. Think of the long coated desert sight hounds!

Siberian Huskies were originally sled dogs. Long coat is a recessive trait that is undesirable because long hair mats with snow and ice, ice chunks build up and weigh the dog down. No serious sledder would want a long coated dog. The show standard views long coats as a serious enough flaw that they don't get shown. Doesn't mean they don't make a fine pet for the average owner though.

Similarly, when the original St Bernard population was almost wiped out by an avalanche, Newfoundlands were brought in to crossbreed and help the dogs recover. The longer coat that the new generations of dogs had meant a lot that were sent out to wander and search the passes never returned because they got too weighted down with matted snow and ice.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.